Pretty Stuck Here Folks

Grimmith

Samurai
Reaction score
I've been trying to get the wiring for this bike done all winter, but something just doesn't add up. I went to mikesxs.com for a wiring harness that matched the vin number on the forks. The problem is that the harness didn't fit at all. Now I notice that some parts in the manual are showing different areas than supposed to be. Any suggestions? Here are a few photos to maybe help determine what year this bike is. As far as I know, everything was "stock" except the raked forks.
20170424_110328.jpg 20170424_110340.jpg 20170424_110345.jpg 20170424_110400.jpg

Best I can do on the year/model I.D. is that you have a '75-'79 Standard. Electrical components shown are stock and in the right locations (regulator, rectifier, coils, safety relay). My best guess is you ordered (or they sent you) a Special harness. That would have some different connectors, mainly in the fuse box area and up at the instrument pod.

I'm the opposite, I've a special and I think I've been sent standard wiring as as 5twins says, some connections are different. The first thing I noticed is my stock ignition has a plastic 3 pin connector, but there is no 3 pin connector on the harness up front to connect to! As such I have absolutely no idea where it is supposed to go!!!!

Grimmith, a stock standard model is very desirable. Though yours appears a bit corroded electrically, I'd highly encourage taking time to evaluate it wire by wire and attempt to keep it stock ! There are so many original components avaliable here through classifieds by other members. Refrain from throwing in the "handgrenade" of after market upgrades for a while ? If I can get thru much of what you are up against, and have, using this sites tech info, anybody can.. -RT

Thank you guys, it's pretty nice to know that my specific model is desirable :D haha. As far as the wiring, what diagram from the website would you recommend? I quite literally have all of them on my tablet, but still not sure which one fits.

You would want the one for your model and year. You have to positively figure out those two things about your bike. Specials and Standards have differences in their wiring and many times there were year to year changes too. You know you have a Standard, now you just need to figure out the exact year. What's the "build" date stamped on the plate on the steering neck? That should tell you, or at least narrow it down.

As the guys already Know I had a heck of a time establishing the exact date on my machine mainly because the clutch cable wore off
part of the 8 in 82.... which made it look exactly like a 92.... and the guys said that's not the case because they wern't made in 92 ! but
it was there on the neck of the bike... so upon the 3rd check I took a magnifing glass and flashlight and looked at it really close and discovered it was a messed up 8 not a 9 of all things..... here I'm asserting that it was a 92 year modle and they were telling me it was impossable ! so someone sujested the engine numbers under the front mount of the engine... that confirmed what year it was because I know the bike had the same engine in it from day 1 .....
the numbers from the engine can be identifed by finding the chart in the Tech section on this site.
Bob..........

If you remember i posted a comparison of your bike and a 79F Standard, side by side......That was based on you saying it was a 79, it having a 35mm front end and a Standard frame
Do need to check your vin.................upon having a closer inspection today i see a part telling me it is an early 77D or earlier. This part was changed part way through the 77D year.............The vin no should also be stamped on the neck of the frame, as well as a plate or sticker with regulation and date of manufacture details. Cant go off the engine no solely, the wiring may not conform with an engine no, unless it corresponds with the Frame no............Tech section ID chart has faults, an updated one is in the ID/Manual sticky in the Garage.

Thanks a lot for all the intel everyone. After doing some exquisite research and waiting a while for the last owner to reply, he stats and mikesxs.com says its a 79 xs650 standard. :D. So which wiring diagram from the site would best suit the wiring so I can hurry up and get this thing on the road before it's too late :D

Post the relevant information you have found out.............What vin no compared to what wiring harness, and what are the areas that don't match the manual...........These things you have found out, don't tell us then ask what is the problem......................

Now your telling us you have confirmed the year from the previous owner, and through MikesXS............and asking what harness to use.........I would suggest using the Harness that you have confirmed whatever the bike is.................I have reservations but, because there has been no information from you to allow us to confirm or deny what you know..........i say go with what you have found out.

Well I don't spend much time on my bike, maybe a couple hours a month. But the last owner claimed that part of the front end was off the special. This included the vin area he claimed, and the first harness I ordered went to the special. Then I called mikes and they confirmed it was the special harness they sent me first. I don't know why that part says 77D. I haven't asked anyone about it yet, I didn't notice until your earlier post. The best link I had that compared the closest to my bike for looks was here http://motorcyclesadsy.com/yamaha/80041-1979-yamaha-xs650-standard.html I'm going off what I was told and trust, I'm still learning, haha.

GO back to your first thread................my first post...........

Maybe some one else can get you to post the details that are required for us to help confirm you diagnosis.............All i can say is buy a 79 Standard harness.

Happy building.

I have just gone back over all your threads............I didn't realize how much i have been posting in them..............there have been links to Manuals, links to threads that have all the different models and an updated ID chart............. any and all information that you are asking are in these links............... a link i posted i gave a detailed description on that linknand what it entailed and how it can help ..............posts not just from me, but angus, 5twins, RG, peanut and a host more..........I would suggest a revisit to them, take your time and things may drop into place, if not then come back and ask................

Okay man will do, thank you a lot. I really do appreciate a forum that's not full of children and is actually willing to take time and help others. I'll probably go over those links most of today. To be honest for everyone I'm in a way new to bikes but also not so much. I understand a bit about engines, physics, aerodynamics, mechanics, etc. and my dad owned bikes, as well as several of my friends, so I know more than your average guy picked up off the street. All but one of the people who have a bike here just buy and ride the bikes, the one that chops and builds wan'ts me to figure this out before he steps in for cosmetics, he even knows my current position and just goes "shut the fuck up and figure it out" haha.
I'm a quick learner and after designing and building a bunch of stuff over my life I need a bigger challenge myself. So after putting a chainsaw engine on my long-board (which can be taken off and still be a working chainsaw) and saving up for several years to get this bike (long-board isn't fast enough I was aiming for a bigger challenge which I got, and I'll figure out even if it takes several years I'll still have a blast :D

Back