Primary and Secondary Filter Debris

XSWestgate

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
After noticing debris in the secondary filter (sand, insect body parts, cam chain guide fragments)
full

and reading up on it here, i went ahead and pulled out the primary filter.
full

As I pulled it out, everything looked fine until I looked at the backside to see a gaping hole and a washer on the magnet:wtf:.. a bit unnerving. any ideas there that came from? here are the measurements of it..
full

full

2m's post, my immediate reaction also. Sand or a bits of aluminum? I see guide bits, red sealer bits, I can guess what and how much the guy used for gasket sealer. Pretty easy for that washer to sneak out of it's recess and usually no harm done if you put it back. Yes you will be taking of the RH cover to replace it, have a look into your oil pump while the cover's off.

Last edited:
2m's post, my immediate reaction also. Sand or a bits of aluminum? I see guide bits, red sealer bits, I can guess what and how much the guy used for gasket sealer. Pretty easy for that washer to sneak out of it's recess and usually no harm done if you put it back. Yes you will be taking of the RH cover to replace it, have a look into your oil pump while the cover's off.

In general, I think the pump looked okay. I spotted a guide on checking clearances after coming in from the garage so i'll check those when i get time to pull it apart. Side note: do the arrows on the rotor and stator have to line up?

The only think that stood out to me aside from the speedo washer issue was some metal filings in the speedo drive sleeve. It looks like the "set screw" and the OD of the sleeve show that it was spinning free and may have shaved some metal off of the set screw. is the set screw supposed to locate in the hole that's in the sleeve?

Thank you,

Kyle

Looks like the original tach drive washer may still be in place? The washer you found looks like a standard M6 washer. It could have come from anywhere. Chances are good it's not from the inside of the motor anywhere but rather got dropped in from the outside. The flat washers under the valve cover acorn nuts come to mind.

Yes, the pin end of the set screw is supposed to locate in that hole.

Looks like the original tach drive washer may still be in place? The washer you found looks like a standard M6 washer. It could have come from anywhere. Chances are good it's not from the inside of the motor anywhere but rather got dropped in from the outside. The flat washers under the valve cover acorn nuts come to mind.

Yes, the pin end of the set screw is supposed to locate in that hole.
I agree from the pic it looks like the washer should be in there.. it didn't look like when I was standing there, but maybe it's because it was almost midnight and my lighting sucks. i'll take another look tonight. Assuming that it is in there.. is the amount of play shown here acceptable? and where can I track down a new set screw?

Yes the screw should go in the hole, you will probably have to grind threads off the tip of an m6 to make one. Run a nut on the bolt before you grind. makes it easy to reform the thread at the end of your ground area.
Like the one i found on the bench, the OD of your "wandering" washer has an odd shape unlike a standard washer.

The arrows just need to be kept on the same side when assembled, ie don't install the outer star flipped upside down. (As worn in mating)

You can't buy the set screw from Yamaha anymore, you'd have to scrounge one I guess. That is, if yours has the pin on the end worn down too much. As long as it still reaches into and pins the sleeve, it's OK.

I'm not sure what play you're referring to? If you mean the gap between the rod and the sleeve then, yes, that may be excessive. Maybe you are missing the washer on the bottom of the rod after all. The pic I have of that assembly shows the rod fitting up to the sleeve much tighter .....

bBw5oBS.jpg

You can't buy the set screw from Yamaha anymore, you'd have to scrounge one I guess. That is, if yours has the pin on the end worn down too much. As long as it still reaches into and pins the sleeve, it's OK.

I'm not sure what play you're referring to? If you mean the gap between the rod and the sleeve then, yes, that may be excessive. Maybe you are missing the washer on the bottom of the rod after all. The pic I have of that assembly shows the rod fitting up to the sleeve much tighter

yeah, i'll take a look again tonight for the washer, thanks for the pic for reference.. the pin is worn down so it barely shows through the case and will barely retain the sleeve if it butts up against the outside of the sleeve.. i'll build/scrounge as suggested.

Back in August of last year, I reported finding this when I pulled the sump filter of my '80 for the first time:

001.JPG

Upon investigation,
images

I discovered that 2 of the washers under the filter hold-down bolts were not OEM washers.
That which I surmised was that a PO had pulled the filter, and after cleaning it, set it down in his parts tray with the other parts, then later discovered that his OEM washers had magically disappeared. But he didn't think to check the magnets on the filter, and installed it with them hanging there.

Last edited:
Upon investigation, this bike is so old and the history I have on it is so baren that I have to trust that it's a similar situation. Slap it back together and hope for the best!

As an update to the thread, I've replaced the original filter with the upgraded original and cleaned out the secondary. I decided not to use the tach, so I pulled out the gear, capped the outlet, and won't worry about the washer.

Thanks for the help on this, I'll update again if anything goes sideways :bike:

Back