Problem mounting Old School Speed Mid Controls

PickleSlice

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm having some issues mounting the OSS mid controls on my '78.

Pictures attached. I got these off of eBay and as far as I know, they are supposed to be bolt on and go. The peg folds up for kicker clearance, that works fine. The problem is, with the kicker fully kicked, it engages the rear brake. I think that this would "work" but it can't be by design. I've tried many different configurations, but can never get it to work.

Anyone have any input on this?

Attachments

• IMG_20150910_182825.jpg
    IMG_20150910_182825.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_20150910_182833.jpg
    IMG_20150910_182833.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_20150910_182856.jpg
    IMG_20150910_182856.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_20150910_182901.jpg
    IMG_20150910_182901.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_20150910_182904.jpg
    IMG_20150910_182904.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 362
No experience with those, wish I could help. With that brat kit I can't imagine that's gonna make for a comfortable riding, you're a tall guy. Maybe I'm wrong, just something to consider.

Last edited:
I've seen some rear and mid set builds on here that use different kickstarters to solve clearance issues.

Creative searching could find those...

No experience with those, wish I could help. With that brat kit I can't imagine that's gonna make for a comfortable riding, you're a tall guy. Maybe I'm wrong, just something to consider.
I'm 5'10" or 5'11", depending on which convenient store I'm leaving. Sitting on it in parked, it feels pretty comfortable, but I have not gotten rid of the stock controls just in case.

I've seen some rear and mid set builds on here that use different kickstarters to solve clearance issues.

Creative searching could find those...

I did quite a bit of searching, but these specific controls do not seem to be very popular. I'll do some more generic searching to see if I can find anything pertinent.

I had a similar issue when I did my Cafe Racer build. I cut and rewelded the kickstart to clear the foot controls, then had it rechromed

Despite being cast it welded without issue

Hi 'Slice,
try lowering the brake pedal by adjusting the threaded shaft out a bit?
And straightening the brake pedal's S-shape a tad so it ends up under the kicker body rather than under it's swing-out pedal?
It looks doable from the photos, anyway.

Hi 'Slice,
try lowering the brake pedal by adjusting the threaded shaft out a bit?
And straightening the brake pedal's S-shape a tad so it ends up under the kicker body rather than under it's swing-out pedal?
It looks doable from the photos, anyway.

I've been thinking about it all day today at work, and I think I can cut and drill the stock brake lever to make it work. I think that curved one is intended to go around stock exhaust. Thanks for the thoughts!

I found that when it was installed like shown in this pic, the kick start lever did not depress the brake arm and apply the rear brake as it rotated downward. Try loosening the brake adjustment up totally, match the angles in the pic, then re-set the brake adjustment so it engages fully when you step on the brake lever.

Attachments

• OSS rear brake lever.JPG
    OSS rear brake lever.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 1,054
How hard does it hit the brake pedal? If it isnt bottoming it out, no biggie. You supposed to be stationary using the kicker anyways. Lol. My dirt bike floods easy, thank god I have a hill to start it.

Back