Progressive Fork Springs ??

halfmile

XS Builder
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
How do you tell progressive fork springs from stock or any other brand? Do they have any markings for the Progressive brand?

Yes, that's true, but the stockers do that as well because they are 2 way progressives. I don't think there's any I.D. markings on actual Progressive Suspension springs. About all you could do is maybe measure their free length. I'm pretty sure they're longer than the stock ones but I don't know by how much. I think probably any aftermarket progressive spring will be longer than stock so I guess the best measuring will do is tell you if they're stock or not.

Hey there, I'm currently putting progressives in the build I'm doing. Here are a couple pics of the length difference with the progressives on the right and the stock with spacer on the left. I got these from MikesXS.
20230130_141925.jpg

20230130_160226.jpg

Those must be from 34mm forks? Stock 35mm fork springs are longer (470mm in '77, 482mm from '78 on).

35mmForkSpecs.jpg

I don't believe the spring "brand" makes the most difference, either they are Wirth, Hagon, Progressive or whatever brand.
First and foremost, the spring rate needs to be suitable for the bike/ rider/ luggage/ skill/ type of riding combination.
Then the preload needs to be set to achieve a reasonable laden sag.
To me, that ends up with a suspension supplier that is able to offer a wide selection of spring rates for the requirements. That would be RaceTech, Øhlins for some bikes, various British suspension companies etc.
So to me, 100 or 200 dollars more spent on a carefully selected spring, and emulators, is a much better deal than buying any random "progressive" spring from a supplier that offers only one spring option for any model.
Buy cheap and buy twice, basically.....
(I fell in that trap when I got Hagon shocks for my XS.
FYI, the shocks were the "correct" model for XS650, but I just couldn't live with them. So sold them for half of what I paid, and got a pair of Øhlins. Bingo!)

Back