Project Canuck- 84 XS650 Project Build

Mght need to SKF Spedi Sleeve that cam shaft. Mine weeped for ages after a few seal/gasket changes until i Spedi Sleved it and finally stopped. With These old bikes wouldnt be a bad idea on all sealing surfaces for a Speedi Sleeve.

Will keep that in mind but I think this is just a case of me removing the seal and perhaps damaging it. The shaft looks fine. I will try a new seal and see what happens.

Thats what bugged the shit out of me with mine was my cam shaft looked good and cleaned many times until i Speedi Sleeved it. Mine was the left side.
Good luck man.

Replaced the camshaft oil seal and no more leak. Replaced the gasket also on the cover for good measure. The oring looked perfectly fine.

Only question I have is on the depth of the oil seal. I installed it flush to the back of the cover. Then installed the cover with the gasket and tightened the 3 screws that hold it on. I then pushed the oil seal in as far as it would go. Assuming the outer ring of the seal is now pushed against the race of the bearing. Didn’t move much. Any harm in this? Not an issue if I need to take it off and push it back but don’t see any apparent issues unless I am missing something. To me it makes more sense to bottom it out against the bearing to help the sealing but I could be wrong.

Double checked the depth. I assumed that the outer diameter of the seal matched up with the outer race of the bearing. Nope. WIll sit right on the outer part of the cage. Looks as though the outer lip of the housing where the seal is does sit on the outer race. The seal was only about 1mm past the outer edge of the housing so I just backed it out flush. That is where the original was. Keep in mind that I have an 84. I have seen some postings that show the seal protruding like 1/2 the thickness. Don't think that is the case without points or an advancer installed but not sure. The seal lip is fully on the shaft when installed.

Well...we will see. Just tired to order it on Ebay and their site allowed me to order it but not pay for it. Not off to a good start.

As suspected this relay is not the correct one. Functions as a relay without the diode to separate the coil triggers. Now works with the clutch lever in but not in neutral. Complete opposite to what I had. Took it apart and found that it is just a solid state electronics relay in a 4 pin relay housing. Found the pin out drawing for it and there is no diode. Just a simple single pole 4 pin relay.

Going to have to set up a second relay to keep the functionality of the clutch switch and neutral interlocks. I want to keep them. Unless someone has a spare relay kicking around.

Last edited:
Damn those "lawyer switches"!!!... Oh, sorry, canuck... :shrug:

No problem. Way of life sometimes in Canada. Comes along with the free health care. :whistle:

Did get it working with a secondary relay to run the clutch and side stand interlock. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy and secure now. ;)

On another note I had a small fuel leak in the petcock mounting screws. Nothing big. Like a drip every couple of days. Searched around for some Hylomar Blue but not easy to find locally and even on line for Canada is scarce. Used the Permatex equivalent and works beautifully. Much easier to find. Wife happen to be in Detroit over the weekend and the Advance Auto stocks it so she picked it up. Napa carries it in Canada but would have had to order it in. I am sure someone locally here stocks it but didn’t bother looking any further.

No issues with it and stopped the leak. Just in case anyone is looking for a substitute. Permatex used to distribute Hylomar so I suspect they “borrowed” the receipt when they lost it.

1135DE09-28C2-4F21-995D-2D9B22307571.png

Well she is done. Put the tank on and Did the final connection of the fuel line. It was a joy to work on and now I have a new ride come spring. Just needs to have the safety done and then I can throw some tags on her and ride. Managed to go up and down the court on my street a couple of times and everything seems to be working fine. Since it is currently -6°C right now it was a short ride. The front brake is not exactly stellar but didn’t expect much out of it. May look at some softer pads at some point. The rear is actually pretty good. Shifted nicely up and down the range and no signs of slippage.

Meet BELLA. The new addition to the family. May we always enjoy the open road.

View attachment 130286 View attachment 130287 View attachment 130288 View attachment 130289
Great looking bike nice work. BTW I live down the road from you in Hamilton - West Mountain. Cheers

Well she is done. Put the tank on and Did the final connection of the fuel line. It was a joy to work on and now I have a new ride come spring. Just needs to have the safety done and then I can throw some tags on her and ride. Managed to go up and down the court on my street a couple of times and everything seems to be working fine. Since it is currently -6°C right now it was a short ride. The front brake is not exactly stellar but didn’t expect much out of it. May look at some softer pads at some point. The rear is actually pretty good. Shifted nicely up and down the range and no signs of slippage.

Meet BELLA. The new addition to the family. May we always enjoy the open road.

View attachment 130286 View attachment 130287 View attachment 130288 View attachment 130289
Nicely done - looks great!

Can't believe I am going to ask this question.......not as worse as asking an oil question, but almost as bad.

Tires....

Think I am going to put a new set of shoes on the girl. After looking them over again they do show signs of cracks and are pushing 13 years old according to the date stamp. They have plenty of tread but better safe than sorry.

I got the sizes.....100/90-19 Front, 130/90-16 rear running on stock mag rims.

I am a bit of Michelin junkie so I see that some are running Pilot Activ tires. The bike currently has Metzeler LaserTech tires which is a nice classic look so still not sure which one I will go for.....but that is not my question.

Do the mag rims on the 84 special run tubes or are they a tubeless rim. Don't honestly feel like pulling back the covers and taking all the air out to check so thought someone would know. The manual says tube type tires but does not specify for mags or spokes and the Clymer is a little vague on tube or tubless. I am pretty sure the Canadian model only came with mags which makes the manual a little suspect.

Bottom line....are the mags tubeless. I just want to know if I need to pick up new tubes also.

Huh? I get 59 results. Try it without the quote marks?
The relevant threads discuss running tube and tubeless in the mag wheels. The important parts are about looking for the "tubeless" marking on a wheel spoke.

Nope. Even copied and pasted your search. Just get this thread. That is fine though. You answered my question. Will look for the tubeless marking. Wire case may need to pick up some tubes.

A944C43A-2B4C-41AA-BCDA-CFABC22E6D49.png

Back