Project Canuck- 84 XS650 Project Build

Couldn't help myself :)
FD55F25B-BCA1-4F28-B109-5683D4E80DE4 b copy.jpg

Great. There goes the OCD again. Another $1000 for more therapy.

Guess I am going to have to break out the dental picks and scrap away some more to satisfy you guys.

There we some specs that would just not come out short of scraping the metal off. Was not too concerned since your nose would have to be in the engine to see them. Damn zoom. Stripper would not touch it so more scraping.

Forgive me for I have sinned. Not sure what I was thinking by leaving those black marks. To the best of my abilities they have been removed. I hope I have not offended any XS650 gods. It will never happen again. ;)

If you find one, it’s a shadow. That’s the story and I am sticking to it.
F41B2542-696A-4B2A-AAD0-6636F5F06C29.jpeg

Holy Cripes you guys! His whole bike is like that! :yikes: (it ain't NORMAL!) :doh: What're the rest of us humans s'posed to do? :banghead: Are you gonna ride that thing, canuck, or seal it in a glass case? :wtf:When (if) I finish "The Basketcase", I'm gonna take the pictures, and it'll be the LAST time it ever looks that good, 'cuz then I'm gonna ride the piss out of it... :rock:

Awwww...shucks guys. You are making me blush.

I blame it from being a 1st generation Italian Engineer whose father always told him if you are going to do something, do it right. I also channeled all the Italian Motorcycle engineers who mantra seems to be form over function....and dodgy electrics. I have a Moto Guzzi. You can learn a lot from a Guzzi.

Remember when I started this I knew nothing about this bike or polishing for that matter. Everything I learned I learned from you guys. :bow2::bow2::bow2::bow2::bow2:

Everything I learned I learned from you guys. :bow2::bow2::bow2::bow2::bow2:

My guess is that everything you learned, you learned from Lt. Gen. Polishingman and his colleague Vice-Admiral Clean-Guy (RobinC and Mailman). Their bikes are spotless - and they actually DO ride them (I've seen them both do it!) - and yet, they (and now you) could give us ALL lessons in motorcycle cleanliness.

Certain, my dear Lucille and I could pick up a few tips here and there....

My guess is that everything you learned, you learned from Lt. Gen. Polishingman and his colleague Vice-Admiral Clean-Guy (RobinC and Mailman). Their bikes are spotless - and they actually DO ride them (I've seen them both do it!) - and yet, they (and now you) could give us ALL lessons in motorcycle cleanliness.

Certain, my dear Lucille and I could pick up a few tips here and there....

tenor.gif

Two more things off my list. Finished the carbs today and installed my new brake lines. Solid feel to the brakes with the caliper and MC rebuild. Leaving it over night compressed to force out any trace air. After the carbs are installed will start on the foot controls, air box and then the exhausts. That will leave the tank to sort out. Still don’t have a path forward on that one whether I will refinish it my self to learn a new task or send it out.

3DDCD4F8-9F37-4D4D-8D76-E325FD541923.jpeg
E8BB324A-E02F-4C1E-A803-6E0F6F3DB4C7.jpeg
54ED37E3-F831-4B67-A837-EF94CFE45D18.jpeg
6FB0FA8D-4120-4EEE-8EEC-9E627C8ECA5C.jpeg
DF7D5325-D390-48EF-9EA6-4794130F2B89.jpeg
195AC925-03DF-4E95-9526-8C5EAFA8455F.jpeg

Last edited:
Had to share this. I don’t get impressed to often but the front brake on this thing has so far impressed be as far as function of the system. Can’t comment on stopping power with a single piston and solid rotor but this is the hardest lever I have ever had on a bike.

Forgot that I had zip tied the lever to get the last bit of air out and went out to release it tonight. Guessing it is a combination of the rebuilt MC, caliper, good quality SS lines and a full day to remove any minute traces of air that made the difference. I can’t squeeze it more that a quarter inch before it is rock hard. My Guzzi has Bembo brakes and it comes no where close to this one. Impressed with the 34 year old brake system.

29D415AD-556C-4D8B-8886-EAA9B86BFE47.jpeg

Carbs are installed. Guess I should put some exhausts on this thing before I start it up. Whoohoo. More things to polish. Then the air box and need to think of a chain at some point. I still have the original and frankly still looks good after 34 years but need to check the stretch. Would have only had 14,000 km on it and was drenched with oil so should be ok. We will see.

57243C08-619E-4FC1-AF24-004743A63283.jpeg
33EFEB5A-460F-4863-A473-EF5FEAD7FC03.jpeg

Last edited:
Back