Propane Injection

Ive only heard of it benefiting diesel vehicles. Id say roll with a sneaky pete nitrous kit.

Propane burns clean and fairly slow. For those wondering, it keeps the burn going a bit longer to help the main fuel 'finish' better. This is why it is so effective in a diesel, in stead of blowing massive soot out the stack, the propane helps burn more of the fuel to make more torque. It can get a little dicey on the modern turbo diesels, LP does have crazy high octane, but it does have limits... 25psi and 15:1 can get you there. This is why the water injection systems are so popular now, especially with methanol. In a clean burning engine it couldn't be as effective a booster as it is in an old dirty one.

Ernie, Thanks for the info! I would love to hear more about propane.

Also, I first saw advertisements for water injection on cars when I was about 16 and the Arab Oil Embargo first started. I've never actually seen anyone use it. Anything would be appreciated.

Has anyone here tried propane injection on carbed motorcycles? Any insight is appreciated.

RecycleBill Google Impco USA they are one of the largest manufacturers of OEM and add on propane systems.Working as a field service Tech In the lift truck industry has allowed me to work on many different propane systems.One of the biggest problems has been cold starting especially in air cooled engines.Engines in the hp range of the xs 650 would require to large a volume of fuel to rely on simple vaporization thru a spigot in the intake system like they use in most small engine applications.Allgas which is now owned by Impco made a vaporizer which could be clamped onto the exhaust pipe of air cooled engines in order to help vaporization of the LPG fuel.This allowed the use of a proper Lpg fuel mixer which allowed for adjusting both idle and power circuits midrange was controlled with a selection of diaphrams and springs.To properly set up one of these systems to meet current emission stds in Ont Canada for industrial engines you would need a 4 gas analyzer.California stds will be impossible to meet without going to the newer electronic LPG injection systems which are being phased in now to meet tier 4 industrial engine emission stds agreed to and mandated by the US and Canadian federal governments for early 2013.

Last edited:
RecycleBill Google Impco USA they are one of the largest manufacturers of OEM and add on propane systems.Working as a field service Tech In the lift truck industry has allowed me to work on many different propane systems.One of the biggest problems has been cold starting especially in air cooled engines.Engines in the hp range of the xs 650 would require to large a volume of fuel to rely on simple vaporization thru a spigot in the intake system like they use in most small engine applications.Allgas which is now owned by Impco made a vaporizer which could be clamped onto the exhaust pipe of air cooled engines in order to help vaporization of the LPG fuel.This allowed the use of a proper Lpg fuel mixer which allowed for adjusting both idle and power circuits midrange was controlled with a selection of diaphrams and springs.To properly set up one of these systems to meet current emission stds in Ont Canada for industrial engines you would need a 4 gas analyzer.California stds will be impossible to meet without going to the newer electronic LPG injection systems which are being phased in now to meet tier 4 industrial engine emission stds agreed to and mandated by the US and Canadian federal governments for early 2013.

Donald, are you speaking of running the engine on propane alone? Because I'm talking about supplementing gasoline with propane and not 100% propane.

Has anyone here tried propane injection on carbed motorcycles? Any insight is appreciated.

Update: In the interest of clarity, propane injection is not the same thing as running on 100% propane. Nor is it a substitute for NOS (Nitrous Oxide.) Propane injection is also not a dual fuel approach where a vehicle can be run on gasoline OR propane.

In propane injection, a gasoline or diesel engine runs on gasoline or diesel and a small amount of propane is injected into the engine continuously at all throttle settings above idle speed.

A propane injected ICE will see some increase in horsepower but more importantly it runs cooler, gets better fuel mileage and reduces carbon build up on pistons and valves so that an engine will remain efficient over a longer period of time.

Yes Bill the systems i was referring to and have worked with are propane only or dual fuel systems that can be switched from gas to propane .I have no experience with a combination of both fuels at the same time.Do you know of someone who manufactures this type of system I would be interested in researching it.

Yes Bill the systems i was referring to and have worked with are propane only or dual fuel systems that can be switched from gas to propane .I have no experience with a combination of both fuels at the same time.Do you know of someone who manufactures this type of system I would be interested in researching it.

Here's one of several: http://dieselperformanceproducts.com/gasoline.html

Thanks.

If I'm remembering this right, I think the diesel guys were running 10% OF THEIR BTU as propane. that was enough to burn all of the diesel and give a little boost. If the engine was only burning 90% before, you were now at 110% which is a pretty good increase. It would be interesting to see how this works on an XS, Hemi chambers aren't known for being particularly 'clean', especially at part throttle.

The problem is going to come with maintaining the correct air-fuel ratio. I'm sure those gasoline engine systems work, but we don't have oxygen sensors or computers to maintain balance and there's no such thing as a rich & clean mixture.

The problem is going to come with maintaining the correct air-fuel ratio. I'm sure those gasoline engine systems work, but we don't have oxygen sensors or computers to maintain balance and there's no such thing as a rich & clean mixture.

Therein lies the rub, trying to regulate at one speed would be easy, figuring out how to regulate throughout the entire RPM range is where I'm currently stumped.

Back