Pulling bearings off end of crank

Tim of DO THE TON

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
So I'm just about to start dropping in all the cleaned up bits and rephased crank etc. into my freshly soda blasted cases.

Need to use the left and right bearings off my donor engine's crank on the new rephased unit. They don't just slide off like many of the other bearings - they seem to be pressed onto the crank.

Not much out there on the 'web' save a description from Hugh's blog where he talks about using a puller or 'chisels' to get the bearing off the crank.

Just wondering what others' experiences have been with this. Like I say, I've searched here and there and everywhere and haven't come up with much of anything. So before I dig out some chisels or more likely take the crank out to a machine shop to have the bearings pulled off one and pressed onto the other, thought I'd post up.

Shoot - meant to post this in the Engines section. Note to self - if you're not logged in when you hit New Thread, after you log in it takes you to the default Garage, and doesn't keep you in the area you were in (Engines in my case).

Sorry - feel free to move this.

Sweet. Heading out to Princess Auto to grab one of these:

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8309619/Pullers/Bearing-Separator-/-Puller-Set

The Tusk one looks to be a lot better quality, but I can buy this today for $40 vs ordering a Tusk from somewhere for $60 + shipping etc. to Canada.

Only concern is pulling the bearing from the outside race. I know these particular bearings are rugged, but I'm planning on reusing them - hopefully this won't cause any harm to the bearing.

That bearing puller will work well. You can use the right side of the pic as a chisel to pry the inner race by tightening up the bolts. Or use them both with an impact to pop it off. Make sure you don't ding the crank and if you do use the left part of the puller, make sure it's in line axially as you tighten it. I've wrecked a crank before by just cowboying the impact and it started to bend the crank

A little heat to the inner race if it puts up a fight.

When reassembling, throw the crank in the freezer for a day. Heat the bearings on a bare lightbulb or gently (hot to touch but not too hot) and that bearing should just slot right on with no issues.

Yup - got the puller home and will be trying it out tonight.

The crank I'm pulling the bearings off isn't being used again, at least not on this build. I am going to keep it in good shape though as who knows when I'll need another crank :p I'm building this engine to replace my current stock engine with, and that stock unit is going into another bike. I might like the rephase so much that the other engine gets the treatment.

Well that didn't work as well as I thought. The smaller of the two bearings (left) came out about 1/4" but the puller I got doesn't reach far enough to actually start pulling, and it's too small for the massive bearing on the right side.

I think I'm just going to buy new bearings for this engine. 750cc rephased ported head web 59a cam titanium valves... might as well have new bearings and save myself time and money on more tools.

Back