Pulling my remaining hair out!

wrenchjohns

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My "used to be" super dependable XS1 is driving me crazy! Ignition problems, carburetor problems, WTF problems. I checked MikesXS and saw ignition #200-2917, could this be a "set it/forget it" deal? Simply lifting a single headache could cause my hair loss issue to subside. I'm thinking that if the ignition system was dependable I might ride the Queen more thereby pushing more fuel through and maybe increase dependability. Please, pros and cons of electronic HO ignitions.
john

I'm not certain i would turn to Mike's XS for any ignition systems...Just went to the site and your part # cant be found...

Last edited:
I think E-ignition is great. Since Pete is out of the picture my opinion is Boyer is the way to go. I'm happy with my Boyer. In fact I bought a second one for the engine I'm currently rebuilding.

I’m a stock everything guy. Just curious. Did the bike run fine and then just decided to give you all these problems? Was it sitting a while?

I normally agree with stock everything but... She has been sitting and occasionally ridden short distances. The last start and get to running temp. was jan 1 of this year, tried again in April_no water in battery_rewatered battery got her fired up and warm. June_got a new battery, no love. July_points, plugs, condenser, plug caps, can see fire both sides, runs on both with brakeclean in right air filter. Carbs are indicated but the removal of one headache makes the next one SO much more bearable
john

I think you got plugged pilots. Maybe mains too. Be careful with the go-juice. You can damage stuff. If you’re getting a fat spark I’d pull the carbs and clean or replace the pilots and clean the mains. Unless you can do it while the carbs are still on the bike. I’ve never been that lucky.

If I haven’t ridden one of my bikes in a month or so I put a air mover to it and run em a few minutes. I keep a tender on the battery but not all the time and keep them slap full of non ethanol gas. I also put it through the gears carefully on the center stand to keep the clutch and seals wet.

I think you got plugged pilots. Maybe mains too. Be careful with the go-juice. You can damage stuff. If you’re getting a fat spark I’d pull the carbs and clean or replace the pilots and clean the mains. Unless you can do it while the carbs are still on the bike. I’ve never been that lucky.
He's got a good point. If you have decent spark reasonable close to the right time and it doesn't start without fuel help you need to look at the carbs. E-ignition is a nice upgrade, but they ran a lot of years and miles on points. Find the problem and fix. Don't just through money at it. Down the rode the E-ignition will save time and headaches.

If the bike is otherwise stock, and the advance mechanism works as it should, I would maybe replace coils, HT wires, caps and plugs. My 77 still has points and starts on first kick 9 times out of 10, hot or cold.

I feel for you bro. With one of my 750 resto rebuilds it kept running like shit and I kept throwing money at it it in ignition stuff. Turned out I had a Dino/coil wire crossed.

Seems we are all on at least a similar page. I also believe the carbs are my primary problem at this point. The change to E-ignition seems like a reasonable "do it while it's down" prevent for the future. As I am currently the six dollar man (one TKR) and likely going to become the twelve dollar man in the relatively near future, this bike cannot be my primary bike (XS1 has no starter, kick only). Future problems must be avoided.
john

… sort the carbs..... pop'n $$$ for E electronics.. only to find out it was the carbs would be a bummer..... My Xs1 has stock points... runs as adversities … this I read on this forum… people swap the Xs1 carbs for Xs2's.. they work better...

You can access the main and pilot jets on your carbs without removing the whole carb. They are mounted in the float bowls so just drop the bowls using a stubby screwdriver. When checking for plugged up carbs, I like to drop the bowls with gas still in them if I can. That way I can see if there's any gunk floating around in there.

Back