1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Purchasing and installation of LED voltage meter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XS650D, May 23, 2019.

1. XS650D

XS650D XS650 Junkie

I need to install one of these LED voltage units.I have read some posts and it looks like
    the 3 wire unit is preferable because of voltage kickback. Can anyone advise as to the
    best size and led colour that will work or fit correctly for a stock 77 housing .I want to use the brake light
    red lense section for the install as its no longer being used ( bypassed it long ago )
    Looks like approx 4 or 5 different colours available.Has anyone played around with what led colour works best thru the red lense . Thx for any guidance on this mod.

Jim likes this.
  2. 650Skull

650Skull Dinosaur Lives Top Contributor

here's a link to 5Twins thread ............i remember another member cut the red lens out and used the voltmeter face or such. Didn't bookmark it

http://www.xs650.com/threads/77-79-standard-in-dash-voltmeter.49689/#post-510205

Another thread with some good ideas
    http://www.xs650.com/threads/nifty-little-voltage-monitoring-doo-dad.27642/

And another type that could be installed in the rev counter with a bit of mucking around, (can provide some info on how to if you think its worth a try), need to get into the gauge to do it.
    http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_113051/article.html
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/gammatroni..._DefaultDomain_3&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    YamadudeXS650C, Jim and Mailman like this.
  3. XS650D

XS650D XS650 Junkie

Thx Skull much appreciated

Jim likes this.
  4. Superjet

Superjet XS650 Junkie Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Hi XsD what do you mean by voltage kickback? I have a simple 2 wire led meter.

Jim likes this.
  5. Superjet

Superjet XS650 Junkie Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

This is what i have.

20190523_211402.jpg

Jim likes this.
  6. XS650D

XS650D XS650 Junkie

When the bike is turned off there is still voltage created from rotor for a few seconds
    because of the design and this can feed back and fry the LED .Some thing to that nature
    I read on a old post.Apparenty the 3 wire design will solve that problem.BUT I have not
    tested this theory so cant confirm or deny if this is correct.It looks like 5Twins LED is a 2 wire
    design and I haven't read of any issues with his.Maybe its got a built in safety so this cant happen.
    Regardless im going this route just cant decide on colour. If I could find or make a smoked lense
    to replace the red lense I believe that would be the ticket! Another member accomplished this
    and it looked great ,very legible in daylight .

Superjet and Jim like this.
  7. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Gotta use red behind a red lens the other colors will not show at all. A bit of clear epoxy on the back of the lens, bed the LED into it works very well. The clear basically removes the diffraction grating effect on the back of the lens from the view.

8. Jim

Jim The thrill of victory and da agony of da feet. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Here's how I did it....

MVIMG_20180214_172836.jpg

Superjet and Mailman like this.
  9. gggGary

I have several cheap chinese 2 wire LEDs installed on bikes and more I use for testing no failures yet.

Superjet, Mailman and Jim like this.
  10. XS650D

XS650D XS650 Junkie

Thats cool Jim. I went to order the unit 5Twins has but no longer available unfortunately.
    Anyone know another unit that will fit the same ,ifs have a link would be great.
    Thx for the tips Gary

Jim likes this.
  11. Jim

Jim The thrill of victory and da agony of da feet. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Mailman and gggGary like this.
  12. gggGary

13. XS650D

XS650D XS650 Junkie

Thx Gary. I guess the unit 5T got was water proof sealed unit looks like but this will work !

14. gggGary

15. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Ditto. Do a forum search on "diffuser".

And, here's that "inductive kickback" thing...

http://www.xs650.com/threads/alternator-rotor-inductive-kickback.42605/

It's not an issue if you're running a later solid-state regulator...

Jim and gggGary like this.
  16. gggGary

TwoManyXS1Bs and Jim like this.
  17. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

18. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Gary, do you have the clear epoxy on the back of the lens in your pic, because it seems to show through better than mine. Also, is that a waterproof sealed unit like mine or one of those "open" type from the Banggood link?

gggGary likes this.
  19. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

You fellas that have the older mechanical relay-type regulators, on bikes with the "headlights always on" feature, probably won't experience the destructive inductive kickback reverse voltages, since the low-resistance lighting system would bleed off most of that pretty quickly...

gggGary likes this.
  20. gggGary

open one from bangood, yes I think that one is "potted" in clear epoxy. But Resto went to her new home yesterday,