Push Rod on 83 heritage

Zach

XS650 New Owner
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm newer to the site and to owning an XS650. I have an 83' Heritage Special and trying to get the clutch to engage. I adjusted the adjusting screw on the outside of the casing, however, it seems that the push rod is still not engaging. When I was replacing the clutch cable and took the casing off, I noticed the push rod fell out as well as the ball bearing. i put the ball bearing and the push rod back in, however, now the clutch does not engage and the clutch hand lever is hard to pull back. Any suggestions?

Zach

- have you ridden the bike...has it been sitting...why did you replace the clutch cable...did it operate the worm drive ok before you put it back together...

it sat this winter but the po told me he was riding it for the past four years. The clutch cable was replaced because the old one looked like it was splintering. even before replacing the clutch cable the clutch was hard lever was hard to pull. I tried putting the ball bearing and short push rod back in and then put the bike in gear, however, the push rod would not go farther than 3/4" to 1" in.

I tried putting the ball bearing and short push rod back in and then put the bike in gear, however, the push rod would not go farther than 3/4" to 1" in.

- does this mean you couldnt get the rod into the engine and therefore werent able to get the sidecase on, or was this the ammount of pushrod movement you were able to get after putting everything back together?

i am able to get the side cover back on. once everything is back together. i only have about 3/4" or 1" of the small push rod inside the engine

The ball bearing. There is one in the cam actuater. Is there also one the goes in before the pushrod? If so how do you remove it or check if it is there??

i am able to get the side cover back on. once everything is back together. i only have about 3/4" or 1" of the small push rod inside the engine

- can you double check that measurement...that rod is about 85mm long and should fit so that about 35mm slides into the motor...around 50mm should be showing outside the seal

- the ball that fell out, where did you put it?

longandshortpushrods.jpg

- you have the three piece set up

I have the three piece set up like you have shown. I was able to get the long push rod and other ball bearing out and now have all four pieces out of the engine. I was looking at the parts, and I actually have three ball bearings now. :confused: I have no idea where the other bearing even came from. the only work that I have done has been with the push rods and the clutch cable.

ther is a ball bearing in the actuator. if the crimps are not keeping the ball in, it will fall out, hence, magically appearing ball bearing.

- can you double check that measurement...that rod is about 85mm long and should fit so that about 35mm slides into the motor...around 50mm should be showing outside the seal

There is around 50 mm showing on the short push rod outside of the seal.

ther is a ball bearing in the actuator. if the crimps are not keeping the ball in, it will fall out, hence, magically appearing ball bearing.

I'm sorry but I am going to sound like an idiot. where is the actuator. Sorry still new with the engine.

the actuator is the turny-thing that the end of the clutch cable goes on. there should be a ball in there. if the crimps are worn, the ball falls out. you can pack it with bearing grease to keep the ball in while you fit it all back together. once its all back together, it will stay together. Your not an idiot.

the actuator is the turny-thing that the end of the clutch cable goes on. there should be a ball in there. if the crimps are worn, the ball falls out. you can pack it with bearing grease to keep the ball in while you fit it all back together. once its all back together, it will stay together. Your not an idiot.

well that makes a lot of sense. because it popped out when the case was opened. I just did not see it until everything else was going wrong. Thank you:thumbsup:

Well, I was able to get it all back together with all of the bearings in the right places. However, I pulled the clutch and put the bike into gear and the back tire still does not want to move. I had the bike running and pulled the clutch and the engine started making a "whiring" noise and then when the clutch was released the noise stopped.

sounds to me like your gonna have to pull the clutch cover off and inspect it....im having the same issue...super tight clutch but mine will move alittle.....

- since putting the bearing back into the worm drive have you readjusted it and the cable?

yes, i did try and readjust it, however, I just found your other post which I am going to try later on

"Be aware that there are 2 adjustment settings for XS650s, cold and hot. The push rods that transfer the worm gear action to the clutch pressure plate are made from steel. These transverse the motor and seat in aluminium. Aluminium thermally expands faster and further than steel giving XSive end play as the motor warms up.

Cold Adjustment…
1. Remove left casing, release cable
2. Clean and lube cable
3. Clean and lube worm gear
4. Repack the ball bearing with grease
5. Remove and clean the push rod, reinstall
6. Reinstall cable
7. Back the worm gear screw out 1/8th turn…pump the lever in and out just enough to take up the free play (don't pull all the way in). This "stacks" the push rods and balls together, taking up any slack and squeezing excess oil out from between them – gives a more accurate "feel" for the rod free play and adjustment.
8. Adjust the lever play to almost nil
9. After 20 minutes or so riding, readjust lever free-play

Your clutch should now operate smoothly, like new. If still hard, the cable may be worn or frayed and should be replaced.

After any service, test ride your motorcycle in a controlled situation before riding in traffic.

You would not believe how many people think they have a clutch problem just because the lever is hard to pull. "

Thanks.
I did not try your steps yet because of the time, however, I think I was pulling the clutch lever all the way in before it had time to adjust as in step seven in your directions, hopefully when I get back out there, that is all it needs to engage.

I was running my engine with the side cover off and teh pushrod popped out. I did not see the innner bearing on the gound, but you all know how dropped parts become invisible.

How can I be certain the inner ball is still in there?

Back