Push Rod on 83 heritage

- ball is 5/16 or a bit over 6mm, so if youve got closer to 40 than 50mm rod exposed then youve probably lost the ball...otherwise, if youve got a small magnet on a stick that will fit into the hole try seeing what comes out

Last edited:
Well I hope this doesn't go un-noticed.....unless it's just fun changing push rod seals and bushings......the 2 piece rods should be good for this too......already tested for 15 thousand miles..............xsjohn

Attachments

• Centering Clutch Push Rods.jpg
    Centering Clutch Push Rods.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
well, I looked at everything and the push rods are in the correct order and fitting properly, so it looks like the next step is going to be the clutch. I am trying to take the pressure plate off and having difficulties with the spring screws. I am unable to loosen the screws without turning the pressure plate itself. :banghead: Any ideas or tips would be helpful. Thanks.

That's exactly what I did earlier today. And YEAH the ball was there. No crawling around on my hands and knees looking for the stray.

I have been reading this and no one mentioned lubing the cable. Lubing the cable helps the lever pull more than anything else.
I lube mine by unhooking at both ends or removing the cable from the bike. Make a funnel from heavy paper or kitchen foil. Tape the funnel around the upper end of cable housing. Keep the funnel full of a light oil, I use 3in1 oil. Work the wire in and out, when oil comes out the lower end it's lubed.
Also inspecting the worm screw part of the actuator for cracks in the plastic. If cracked the pull will be hard and most of your pull will be used to take up the slack in the cracked part.
I found the part cracked in my 75. A new one and a well lubed cable makes for a clutch I can pull with two fingers.

Can't believe no one commented on my mod to stabilize the rod and save the brushing and seal...........and as far as I can tell make the clutch work even better......gee........

xsjohn

Can't believe no one commented on my mod to stabilize the rod and save the brushing and seal...........and as far as I can tell make the clutch work even better......gee........

xsjohn

What would they know eh John :D

it is a throw away society and no one wants to be self sufficient and do the things you do to save money and still have no troubles. "Just buy this and make all your troubles go away" i always say to myself, "why pay hin/her to do that when i could do it myself".......Thanks for your tips John, and if it still wont work just add lanolin oil :thumbsup:

Back