Put a Cork in it? But what kind?

davem222

davem222
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am running a lowbrow p-nut tank and bought one of their cheaper 1/4 turn gas caps. The cork seal in it is total crap and is shredding pretty fast. I'm ok to buy a new cap but the metal parts of the cap seem totally fine. Any thoughts on 1) if I should get a new cork seal and if so where I can find them 2) Is there a better seal out there? Can I get one that will work that's some sort of rubber or plastic? Does it need to breathe like cork does? 3) If this is a losing endeavor, where do you all recommend buying a new, higher quality cap? Thanks!

Dave

I get cork in sheets from the local O'Reilly's auto.
Not sure about the choices of thickness.
Maybe that and alittle Indian Head shellac will get you a like new one?

is it a cam style neck? you can get that style cap with a rubber ring under ten bucks. just make sure you get one that breathes

ah, i see.
I would get a piece of innertube, and cut it out to replace the cork. how thick is the cork.

Vintage Speed and Sport replacements $1.25
Or buy a sheet of cork and cut your own.
A note on inner tube and eythonol.
xsjohn and I both tried inner tube as a blank gasket on petcock holes.
The gas makes the inner tube swell and look wet although it didn't leak.

looking at the picture of the cap, looks like it vents thru the center on the inside, and the outside hole is on the edge on the top. id e try it.
As far as using innertube for a gasket, I also tried to use it for a petcock gasket, and your rite, it does wierd things, but it is exposed to gas liquid all the time. A cap gasket is not. What have you got to lose?

In the HELP! section at parts stores, you know the blister packs that have everything from replacement window cranks to you name it. They have a large brake master cover made of rubber, the kind that's supposed to follow the fluid level down and keep air out. I think the rubber from that would stand up to oil and fuel better than inner tube.

Back