Putting an early bike on the centre stand

Grewth

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm thinking about welding a lifting handle onto the frame of my XS1B, or maybe something else that would allow me the haul it onto the stand without damage.
I've already collected four broken rear muguard loops (all broken in the same place), so I'm suspecting that the said loop isn't up to the job of lifting the bike, and the seat pan mounted grab rail even less so.
Not sure of the best solution yet, I'd like to design something strong but unobtrusive if at all possible

Look at the BMW k100 lift handle. Wonderful little bit of tech. Folds out and up. Helps with the not so sevelt beemer.

1658242338427.png

Some things that will make the stand easier to deploy are adding grease fittings and bracing the tang. Well greased pivots make a world of difference and with the tang braced, more of the force you exert on it when stepping on it will be transmitted into the stand, less wasted through tang flex. Slightly longer than stock rear shocks also help because they reduce the amount you need to lift.

I know I mention it all the time but I can't stress enough the importance of keeping the pivots well greased. 650 centerstands aren't like most others in that they have a length of tubing a little over an inch long for a pivot and that rides on a long shoulder bolt. When it gets dry (and rusty), it binds up big time. Most others just pinch the top of the stand legs flat and drill holes through them. That only gives a pivot width of 1/4" or less, not much to bind up even if it is dry.

83StandGreased.jpg

Everything @5twins just said. :thumbsup: My XS2 was a bear to pull up on the stand. I used to have to roll the bike up on a 2x4 to make it easier, until I installed slightly longer shocks. Made all the difference in the world.
Here is an old thread, where @2M designed a lifting handle for his XS1B

https://www.xs650.com/threads/the-centerstand-challenge-lift-assist-handle.46892/page-4#post-473352
View attachment 219294View attachment 219295View attachment 219296
That looks simple but effective.
I might cut a few corners by fabricating a bracket and welding it to the frame, then mounting an old pillion footrest (upside down) as a handle.
It won't impress the purists and rivet counters, but at least I wont have a busted mudguard loop.
As for centre stands, I'm planning to fabricate a couple at work (my employers won't mind because they won't know about it).
When I've got all the parts sorted, I might as well build another one with shorter legs as an experiment.

The thing that people confuse with the stands is Yamaha designed it to be a service stand. IE used when doing bike service. When on it you can remove either to front or rear tire. Since you are picking the bike high enough to remove tires it takes a lot more effort. A center stand on the other hand just takes the weight off the wheels. A center stand is more stable than a side stand. A lot less effort.
If you need to remove a tire with a center stand all you have to do is find a couple of pieces of wood or such to put under the feet to get it high enough.
My BMr has a ride off stand several times I just backed it up to the edge of a sidewalk and then put it on the stand. The rear tire hung over the edge of the sidewalk, more than enough room to remove the tires.
My XS2 Survivor was a nut buster to get on it's service stand even with everything well greased. Made a new stand from a newer model XS650 but 1 inch shorter and now it's a piece of cake to deploy it.

If you are wondering how to put 1 inch blocks under the feet it's easy peasy. Put bike on centerstand. Rock to left, put block under right foot. Then rock to right and put block under right foot. When done either reverse procedure or roll the bike foreword.
If traveling 1 inch block don't take up a lot of space.

Back