Putting back original wiring harness

xs650newb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've had my bike for about 3 years and for the past two years I've been running a custom harness that I made. I really cut corners when I made it and its a constant worry that something is going to short when I am on the road. My custom harness is real barebones. Charging, ignition, headlight, turn signals, and horn. No relays, starter, self-canceller, etc. You get the idea.

Anyways, I'd like to put back on an original harness (its a 1981 Special). Can an original harness be used if many pieces are removed? For example, on the original harness will the turn signals function even if I've removed the cancelling unit?

Best,
Adam

Yes, you can reinstall the stock harness. But why, If you did a good job when you made yours it will do just fine. If you don't trust it, try again.
Leo

Yes, you can reinstall the stock harness. But why, If you did a good job when you made yours it will do just fine. If you don't trust it, try again.
Leo

I did that very same thing last winter. My first try at making my own wire harness went OK, but I knew I could do better (I had my own rats nest under my tank). So last winter I re-did the whole thing with a new blade fuse box and nice new block connectors from http://vintageconnections.com/
Nice and tity
2013-01-21_13-58-10_781_zps0b30f65d.jpg

I agree with Leo. It would be easier to do-over what you already did than go back to the original harness, although it could be done. One thing you can do is take the wire out of the original harness and use the wire.

If you're using spade connectors get a good crimper, not that weird tool that's sold far and wide as a crimper! And get connectors with the smallest barrel that will go over the wire. The sizes are loosely color coded. Some people think the connectors are no good when the real problem is they're using connectors intended for much bigger wire.

With a minimal harness I wouldn't feel bad about using spades and just taping them to insulate them. Leave an edge turned up on the tape to make it easy to undo when the time comes.

using the old harness will need a lot of work checking for bad connectors or couplings and continuity testing for bad joins or broken wires, and the whole harness needs to have every connection and coupling cleaned. A lot of work but worth it in the end.

That being said the amount of work building a new, or rebuilding the one you have may be less work.

A good how to on Harness's

Back