PWK 32 mm carb float height

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I believe this question has been asked many times before, but I cannot find the float height spec for the PWK 32mm Keihin carb. I’ve seen recommendations of 19 mm but for those that have these carbs, you know that’s impossible because the floats will hit the carb body. When I disassembled my carbs for cleaning the float height measured approx 23.5 mm. I adjusted them down to close to 22 mm but now the bike is running super rich. I’m suspecting float level may be contributing to this condition.

Can anyone provide me with the spec height or let me know the height you have used to make the carbs function properly, thanks.

If the bike was running pretty good and not rich before and then you change the float height to make it higher and now it seems really rich that maybe you should change the float height back to where it was and see if that fixes it

At work we almost never have to adjust float heights.... Unless somebody already "adjusted" them!

You want to make sure that you are calculating from the place where the float valve closes not including the little spring plunger on the tip of the needle.
Typically that means set the mounting tabs of the float are about parallel with the bottom of the float bowl

If the bike was running pretty good and not rich before and then you change the float height to make it higher and now it seems really rich that maybe you should change the float height back to where it was and see if that fixes it
Will try that tomorrow. I was hoping to find a specific height to set them to. When I took the carbs apart the float heights were different already. Thx

At work we almost never have to adjust float heights.... Unless somebody already "adjusted" them!

You want to make sure that you are calculating from the place where the float valve closes not including the little spring plunger on the tip of the needle.
Typically that means set the mounting tabs of the float are about parallel with the bottom of the float bowl
Ok I’ll check that tomorrow as well. Yes someone has “adjusted” them ☹️ I’m sure I’ll get it running right. Thanks for your input!

Hi, can you elaborate on the “mounting tabs are parallel with the bottom of the float bowl”? I tried to reset the float height today to where it used to be, around 23mm to the highest point on the float measured to the carb base, with the float tab just touching the spring loaded pin on the float valve. At this setting the metal float arms are nowhere close to being parallel to the body. If I try to get it to be parallel, the fuel won’t shut off. Thx

The float looks like the letter p laid on its side, the tale of p is the mounting tabs.Set it so the mounting tabs are parallel with the bottom of the carb body where the bowl gasket goes.

I keep having voice to text fails!

Last edited:
Sometimes when you replace the needle it results in a bad float height and that requires an adjustment. (Honda sabre comes to mind).

If the carb has a rubber bowl gasket, the fuel height is usually slightly above that, it it has a paper gasket it is always below the gasket.

I've never done it but other forum members are find of using clear tubing running up from the bowl drain to verify fuel level. Because that's what we are really concerned about here, the fuel level not the actual float height.

Got it. Unfortunately the PWK’s don’t have the drain at the bottom of the bowl, otherwise that would have been a good way to check. Thx for your help.

Doesn't show a 32mm

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200621-130931.png
    Screenshot_20200621-130931.png
    491.9 KB · Views: 711
Back