Quarter fairing for the XS

arcticXS

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Good morning all!
Hopefully most of you can go on a nice sunday ride :) Where I live, it seems the summer is on hold for now. On the most exposed coastal roads, only 30-40 km from my house, there was 4 inches of snow for a few hours yesterday.....
Anyway, my question of today is if anyone has experience with this particular quarter fairing from Airtech:
upload_2019-6-30_15-10-2.png

"AJS M4", supposedly a replica of a Dunstall fairing. Or maybe the HD XLCR fairing. Headlight diameter does not really matter, as I prefer to mount a headlight directly to the fairing, and avoid that heavy steel bucket and headlight ears. In my previous thread regarding fairing/wind protection, a lot of suggestions were windshields and more touring oriented stuff. But I tend to like a bit more sporty styling myself.....

We sold and installed quite a few similar back 45 years ago.
Biggest issues were getting all the front end parts to play together.
Headlight fitment and sealing, but you have a plan.
Getting the angle right.
Turn signal stalks.
Handlebar and cabling clearance.
The fairing mounts themselves, depending on handlebar and/or fork ear attach.
Just like with helmet visors, if the windshield is unique, get a spare...

BBA7A3E6-EE49-4B07-A455-7503E16B8D4F.jpeg
This “Emgo” style aftermarket 1/4 fairing was popular in the early 80’s as well in my area. I’ve nicely installed two modified. JC Whitney use to sell the same one for Cheap !
The mounts best work using the headlight thru holes. XS’s require the turn signals to be relocated.
See how close to the mirror mounts the fairing comes there ? If you use bar end mirrors instead, then the mirror posts, cut short and tapped on top can be used to very securely mount and stabilize this type of fairing.
Re Shape the strange bubble shield, matching paint, and it turns out very professional looking.
Looked all over for my XJ650RJ 1/4 fairing pics.. gone ..
-R

Well, I changed my mind. Just bought a used FJ600 half fairing on ebay. I think it can be adapted to fit an XS. Maybe using an LED headlight. Gauge clearance is not an issue, as I am using a pair of fairly compact Daytona Velona gauges. I also already have pretty low handlebars (LSL Superbike Low, in alloy) Hopefully this FJ fairing will provide some wind/ weather protection.
Here is a pic of the FJ:

Uio1KE1SDq.jpeg.jpg
l

Last edited:
Well, I changed my mind. Just bought a used FJ600 half fairing on ebay. I think it can be adapted to fit an XS. Maybe using an LED headlight. Gauge clearance is not an issue, as I am using a pair of fairly compact Daytona Velona gauges. I also already have pretty low handlebars (LSL Superbike Low, in alloy) Hopefully this FJ fairing will provide some wind/ weather protection.
Here is a pic of the FJ:

View attachment 148211l

....now THAT is going to be pretty cool ArcticXS - looking forward to photos.....
:popcorn:

Good morning all!
Hopefully most of you can go on a nice sunday ride :) Where I live, it seems the summer is on hold for now. On the most exposed coastal roads, only 30-40 km from my house, there was 4 inches of snow for a few hours yesterday.....
Anyway, my question of today is if anyone has experience with this particular quarter fairing from Airtech:
View attachment 144315

"AJS M4", supposedly a replica of a Dunstall fairing. Or maybe the HD XLCR fairing. Headlight diameter does not really matter, as I prefer to mount a headlight directly to the fairing, and avoid that heavy steel bucket and headlight ears. In my previous thread regarding fairing/wind protection, a lot of suggestions were windshields and more touring oriented stuff. But I tend to like a bit more sporty styling myself.....

I’ve been thinking about using a quarter fairing on my build, the first one does look good. I’m very interested in the stuff Air Tech are selling.

Back