Query: am I just a dope?

davem222

davem222
Reaction score
Hey guys,
First off, I hope everyone and their families are doing ok during these insane times. It's been a while. Long story short, I had my first child 5 years ago and have had my hands FULL for the past several years. So my xs has been sitting. I went through all of the "bring your bike back from the dead" checklists on this forum and brought it back! I'm happy to say that she purrs like a kitten thanks to all of your wisdom. Well, she purrs like a kitten when in idle. But I can't seem to get the clutch set right. This is when I thought "maybe I'm just a dope". The jury is still out. I was hoping to expand my jury pool to include the sages on here. Here's the issue: I set the screw at the engine, back it out 1/8 of a turn or 1/4 of a turn, doesn't matter, either way I have the same problem. I get it in 1st, give it a little gas, and it runs fine when I'm slipping the clutch, but as I let out the clutch fully, it stalls with a loud "THWACK!". Bear in mind, that I'm JUST doing this at VERY slow speeds in my underground parking garage in my building complex. So I'm not getting it above 5 mph max. (the reason for this is that I haven't re-upped my 5 year old registration yet so my tags are old....that's gonna be "fun")

So here's the real question: Do I have a clutch problem or am I just a dope who is stalling his engine out by not giving enough gas?

I was running the 650central easy pull cable (which made it hard to upgrade my perch and lever as the internal cable is thicker than most can accomodate) so I got a motion pro one, lubed it and swapped it out, no difference. I also am running a on piece clutch rod that I put in years ago.

Any opinions as to the state of my cognitive abilities? Any advice, well or ill, would be greatly appreciated. And again, I hope you're all well. As someone who grew up never being taught how to fix anything, all of your writings have helped me tremendously over the years.

Sounds like your clutch is stuck,pretty common. Do a search on stuck clutch on this forum for ways to unstick it.

I agree.
Try the Fred Flintstone method: Engine off, put it in second gear. Pull the clutch in, and push the bike back and forth while sitting on the bike, until the clutch breaks free.

Apologies for my ignorance here guys, does that mean that the plates themselves are sticking together in the basket? And is it a stuck clutch even though the bike can move forward when I pull in the clutch lever and kinda half let it out, right at the sticking point?

I too just got my bike running again after an infant-induced lapse of attention. My kid's a little over two now.

It runs fine in gear while slipping the clutch? Doesn't sound like the clutch is stuck to me. I'm thinking you might be a little too gentle on the throttle trying to keep it at, as you say, VERY slow speeds.

but as I let out the clutch fully, it stalls with a loud "THWACK!
The loud "THWACK! concerns me. With the bike in neutral can you kick the engine over (clutch out)? Also when in first with clutch out can you kick it over?

Bike in neutral it kicks over and starts up beautifully. And re first, apologies I always get confused here, if by clutch out you mean NOT pulling in the clutch lever, then no, I can't kick it as the pistons are engaged. When it's off and I put it in first I can't push it either, unless I work against the compression of the pistons and REALLY push it lol.

When it's off and I put it in first I can't push it either, unless I work against the compression of the pistons and REALLY push it lol.
With the clutch lever pulled in you should be able to push it when in gear. It will be harder than when in neutral.

Backing off the adjust screw, an eighth turn is a lot ride it 50 miles then see if you have an issue. I t can take a little to get the plates nice n juicy with fresh oil. There are some reports of the basket developing notches from plate wear. But I haven't seen it. Some aftermarket clutch plates have been found to be a bit big...

So let me ask this just so I understand what is happening. You say you can start the bike just fine and then if you pull in the clutch lever you can shift it in to 1 st gear without a problem? Then when you are letting the clutch lever out to take off and ride the bike this is when it stalls with a loud "THWACK!". ?

Just for fun what happens if after you try that if you pull clutch back in all the way and before starting the motor will it roll while still shifted into 1 st gear? How about if you shift it into neutral and with clutch out does it roll nice and easy?

I know you are getting a bunch of questions but as we can only go by what you are telling us it can be tricky to understand exactly what is happening. Things that anyone might spot in a second if there with hands on can take several minutes to describe via text. I run into the same problem often on a Heavy Equipment form I am on and one has to be very careful about the terms and interpretation of replies from the person who is having the problem.

Does the bike have a centerstand?
If you have a centerstand? Its very simple. Put the bike on centerstand, kick start it up. Allow the rear wheel to spin in the air in say 1st and 2nd gears shifting back and forth a couple times. Pull the clutch lever and apply the rear brake.
If that doesn't free up a slightly stuck clutch, then there are bigger clutch troubles to adress.
-R

Yeah - when I got my '76C from under the pile of manure (not really, but she was pretty grotty), the clutch was stuck as hard as a frozen turkey. I changed the oil, lashed the clutch lever as close to the handlebar as possible with a bungee cord and simply did the Fred Flintstone shuffle back and forth in the garage in second or third gear. After about 15-20 minutes, I noticed that I had actually moved five or six feet across the floor - but there was no skid mark. I just kept doing that until I could paddle around as much as I wanted (took about another 30 minutes) and now it works great. In fact, I just clicked over 12,000 miles on that very same clutch and it has never been apart since I have owned the bike.

One thing: when you adjust the little screw on the clutch actuator down on the LH sidecover - DON'T back it out 1/4 turn as stated in the manual.
Most of us adjust the clutch as follows:
  • run the slack adjuster on the handlebar lever in all the way (the cable may be pretty floppy at this point);
  • then turn the adjuster screw down on the engine cover in till it juuuusssttt contacts the push rod inside the engine and then leave it there while you tighten the lock-nut on that screw (and do not over-tighten it - they tend to tighten up on their own).
  • then adjust the cable slack up at the handlebar with the screw-adjuster and knurled lock-nut.
Pete

Hey guys. Sorry for the lag. Been busy w work and the kid all week. First off, thank you all for such insight. I’m going to see if I can’t take it for a small ride up and down my block today and see how she handles. Before I do so, I’m going to set the clutch with your suggestion of NOT backing it up after the screw touches. We’ll see how it goes.

"Most of us" doesn't include me, Pete! There's a reason for backing that screw off a bit, which is to keep the rod from turning with the pressure plate when the clutch is engaged, which can result in premature wear to both rod and bushing.

Back