Question - 74 xs650 Front Brake hose - Banjo bolt

locoleon

locO leoN
Reaction score
Hey Gents,
I'm looking to replace my front brake hose with a set of steel-braided Good ridge lines directly from the MC and bypassing the switch.

I was looking at the brake caliper where the steel hose connects with the caliper. I noticed that it is significantly smaller than a regular 10mm 1.25 pitch banjo bolt.

Does anyone know what size brake/banjo bolt would fit into the caliper?

Im wondering what everyone else has done.

Can I replace that mental hose all together or do I have to connect the steel braded line to the steel pipe? If so, what size connector do I need?

Thanks for the help!

There isn't one. What you need is an adapter. It needs to match the threads on the steel line on one end, the other end needs the AN-3 fitting that is on the end of the braided line. I'm not sure right off but I think the thread in the caliper is 10mm by 1.00 pitch thread. thats what the line I have measures at. Goodrich sells those adapters.
Take your caliper to a parts store. Tell them you want a fitting that threads into your caliper on one end, the other end needs an AN_# on the other.
Leo

G'day Locoleon.

I went through the same thing.

I'd recently purchased Mikes XS a complete 74-76 caliper set, and a 10mm x 1.00 pitch banjo bolt (Part #08-0254) as well.

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-71.html#products

I suspect the bolt might be a touch too long, and I may have to remove a bit of metal from the caliper itself to allow the banjo fitting to attach.

DSC_0477.jpg

Cheers.

Steve.

http://inmotionphotogxs650.blogspot.com/

Leon,
The fitting is a m10 x 1.00 with a 45 degree double flare (the inverted flare on the caliper is 42 degrees and the "crush" into eachother) that actually does the sealing.
I could make a hose that has a m10 x 1.00 double flare tube nut on one end and a banjo fitting on the other end that would work.

Or you could buy a new hard line and hose set and keep it factory design. Steve linked my site up earlier in the thread if you want to check them out. you can email me at shaun@slingshot-cycles.com if you want to go the more "custom" route.
Shaun

I'm actually in the same situation right now. I'd be interested in one of those custom hose you were talking about Shaun. If you are still making them I'd buy one.

Hi Dave. I still have all the tools and dies to make the ss braided lines as well as stock xs650 lines to use as my template. I just don't happen to have the website up and running yet. I had to take it down a few months back for maintenance and the new site is close but not quite ready.
Not sure how soon you need them but if you can wait about two or three more weeks it should be up then.

Shaun

Hey Gents,
I'm looking to replace my front brake hose with a set of steel-braided Good ridge lines directly from the MC and bypassing the switch.
I was looking at the brake caliper where the steel hose connects with the caliper. I noticed that it is significantly smaller than a regular 10mm 1.25 pitch banjo bolt.
Im wondering what everyone else has done.
Can I replace that metal hose all together or do I have to connect the steel braded line to the steel pipe? If so, what size connector do I need?
Thanks for the help!

Hi locoleon,
I think you are stuck with using the short steel-tube line that goes into the brake caliper because I read that a braided hose is too fat to go in there.
Your proposed stainless wire braid reinforced hose will need a banjo at the top and whatever threaded end matches the top end of the existing steel tube line at the bottom.

I am just finishing a rebuild on a '74 myself, and got the floating rotor/SS line/repro MC setup from 650 Central. Really liked the rotor, looks sharp. Not sure how to post pics so need to investigate that.

The line sent went from the master cylinder down to the hard line. There is an adapter. The routing follows the stock setup, but the front brake switch is now up at the master cylinder. That is a round-ish switch that gets activated by the lever.

I had rebuilt the caliper, so thought I would be set. However I am dissatisfied with the brake lever feel, as it will pull back to the bars. Have bled and bled the line and am convinced that there is no air left.

I have a '77 RD400, and the setup is exactly the same as the 650A, EXCEPT that HVC sold me a line that went DIRECTLY from the master cylinder to the caliper. Aside from that it is the same, and the brake on the RD is terrific.

This discussion is making me think perhaps I need to get a longer SS line and go direct.

But will try to get a pic up to show the lash-up. Is there a thread that discusses that?:shrug:

Hey Shaun, sorry to revive an older thread, but wanted to say that this is kickass. Was searching everywhere for what to do for my 76 brake setup and this makes it so simple.

One question for you. I'm going to replace my master cylinder with a less ugly one and I wanted to know what size banjo bolt fitting is on this line so I can get one with the same bore size. The one I'm looking at now has 10mm x 1.25 banjo threads.

Thanks!

Last edited:
10mm banjo fittings are used on the master cylinder end. This should match up with 99% of the master cylinders out there.
Shaun

Back