Question about dead battery possibly, maybe,???

650hcs

Addict
Reaction score
OK, so I must have a draw on my battery or something because it will drain overnight if i dont pull the main fuse and of course I forgot to pull the fuse. i was out riding and stoped and turned the bike off, did some things and when I came back the battery had died no clicking sound or anything but the headlight will turn on. I also couldnt kick start it either, tried for a long time. All other components of the bike are working, I had fuel, spark, both cylinders have 150 compression. The rubber piece under the tank fell off and droped the tank down a little, maybe that did something,I dont know. If anyone has any insight on this, I would love to hear it.

Thanks,
Holden

Look here, for isolation of your battery drain.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21185

Get your electricals solid first. You have not told us what components you are using, but the stock ignition is pretty weak, and if it won't even grunt the starter, odds are you can't make enough spark to get it under way.
Get your battery top charged and load tested first, then go after the isolation of the drain. If it's a drain with the bike off it most likely is with it on too. Unfortunately, stray voltage does not make a visible puddle.

Try this test. With the ignition switched OFF disconnect your negative cable at battery. Using a working 12 volt test light connect the alligator clip to the cable end and touch the other end to the negative terminal of the battery. If it lights up you have a draw on your battery. The only component on your bike that has power with the ignition off is the rectifier mounted under the battery box. Test it by unplugging it. If the test light will no longer light up thats your shorted component. If still lit plug it back in and simply unplug all other components until it goes off. When the light goes out you have your shorted component. Hope this helps.

Back