Question about original Yamaha mirrors and the 'crack of doom'

OdysseusXS

XS650 padawan
Reaction score
Good morning gentlemen,

I've been trying to set up my mirrors on an original '82 heritage special. Around the base of the stainless steel body of each mirror there is a serious split which prevents me from locking these mirrors into position. Look like a common prob, I have already backed off the adjustment bolts (allen key) but even nipping the split sections together with pliers isn't working. Any suggestions?:confused: Reminds me of the 'crack of doom that MGB's get at the base of the point where the side front quarter glass connects to the door panel. I have a mate who reckons he can fill the cracks (awesome welder), is there any other fix for this?

Any number of Yamaha mirrors w/left handed thread on right (m/c) mount will fit your bike. If you're going for an accurate restoration then probably best to put an ad in the classifieds on this forum. If it's not a resto then just look for something that pleases you. My 78'SE has mirrors from a Honda Magna, The 77'D has the mirrors from the SE, the SR has Motolanna mirrors. See what I mean?

That collar cracks when it meets up with a heavy handed wrench.

roy

Back