Question about upgrading stock air filters...

OdysseusXS

XS650 padawan
Reaction score
Just a quick question, I've read another thread where pamcopete demonstrated a home built air filter made from one half of a briggs and stratton filter. 1) Has anyone else tried this? Do they work well? Same thread mentioned that K&N filters do not work well on the 34M carbs, has anyone had experience with the drop in K&N filters (stock airbox option)?

Any comments appreciated,

Never tried it, Studdied the thread he has posted and can't see anything wrong with it.
I really don't think Pamcopete would keep advocating an alternative like this unless it worked.
Im sure the Briggs and Stratton filter will cost more than $13.00 here in OZ but at $100.00 each for the K&N drop in filters it is a no brainer in my mind

i wouldn't think it would be any worse than the K&N's. There is an xsjohn air box mod , (about half way down the page), that gives more airflow if you were worried about any restrictions.

UNI sells air filter foam sheet kits, black and green, I think the green is finer, smaller pore. I test fit to get the right shape with heavy paper then cut the foam to fit over the stock air filter frames. First removing all the ratty "old mouse hair filter". I do cement the foam ends together but a couple of zip ties work also. This works on the 80-83 BS34 filter boxes.

My air boxes came with the air filter cages without the foam. They were completely disintegrated. I purchased the green air filter foam at our local small engine supply store, cut to fit and hot glued the ends together for a tight fit. I've ran on these filters for several years without any problems. I had enough left over to do another set if ever needed. The foam was cheap as well.

I lost a air filter the other day riding and I have since ordered a pair of uni's. I'm using a foam beer coaster I stapled together. I did about 50/50 oil and gas. Hopefully I don't break anything haha

Back