Question about voltage

Blood Brother Bob

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Is the black wire on the stock reg/rec on an 83 supposed to have voltage "chattering" from it while ignition is on and bike is not running?and if so, do I run it to the ground like all the diagrams show?

All the black wires should be at ground. What you're reading is it floating or the meter completing a circuit, etc. Spurious in other words.

Thanks man, but is it normal to read 12 volts from the black ground wire to the frame....I wouldn't think so.. I only ask because I'm troubleshooting components be cause I can't get spark. I know I've got it wired correctly so I'm on a quest for bad components..

I just know the black wire is supposed to be at ground. On the other side of the ground wire it eventually makes its way through twists and turns to 12v. If the meter is a very high resistance (impedance) as a decent one is, then you're likely to read basically 12v there if it's floating instead of going to ground. But it could read the same way if there was a problem too. You could measure the current there but that's too much at this point. What happens if you connect it to ground?

f I TakeItToGround, ThereIsTheTiniest OfTiny Arcs, ThenIts AllGood. I'm Not Saying That There Is A Problem, Just Wondering Why I'm Pulling A Voltage OFf Of A Ground....Thank For Your Help

Check to make sure that the battery negative cable is firmly connected to bare metal on the frame (with no corrosion).

On the 83, does it still have the factory interlocks, such as the sidestand relay, or is the wiring all custom ?

What is the history? When was the last time you saw the engine run?

Back