question for Canadians

shaas

shaas
Reaction score
I'll be riding the beemer east from Sault St. Marie later this month to meet my Dad for a week of sailing in the North Channel. I'm wondering how much wiggle room there is speed wise. I'm guessing not much for folks from the states. Any other words to the wise is welcome.

Thanks!

Hi shaas,
I'm in southern Ontario and find that the cops here generally don't bug us going 10-15 km/h over the limit out on the highways, maybe 20 over if keeping up with traffic on a 4 lane or more highway. The cities probably are tightened up a bit, so doing 60km/h in a 50 would be all I do.
Now we all hear stories of cops having a bad day and nailing you hard - no different here.
Enjoy your time here and remember to spend lots of money in Canada!
Ed

If you get caught doing 30mph over the speed limit they can take your bike, suspend your license, and impose a $10,000 fine. That's after getting reamed royally for insurance just to get 1/2 a year's worth of riding, (minus the crap weather days, and days spent doing other things).

Welcome to Ontario, the land that fun forgot.

I was in Toronto last week and wonder how you guys can even consider speeding...all I was able to do was sit in traffic all week, virtually stopped......damn those roads were clogged... LOL

I was in Toronto last week and wonder how you guys can even consider speeding...all I was able to do was sit in traffic all week, virtually stopped......damn those roads were clogged... LOL
You must have been stuck in the gay pride parade ;-) Did you notice a lot of men in chaps and nothing else? Maybe some women with 5 o'clock shadow?

I wouldn't suggest going much over 10 over with a non-Ontario plate. They are less likely to be as lenient.

here is a break down of all of our speed limits.
30kph is 18mph
40kph is 24mph
60kph is 37mph
100kph is 62mph

and if your looking to go a bit faster.
110kph is 68mph, But 70 shouldn't be an issue.

Not stuck in the parade, but we went out a couple of nites on Yonge St. and saw alot of "rainbow" types....still had fun tho....traffic really did blow however... :)
Tom

Back