Question on carb holder air barbs

sherwin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I need to purchase some new holders to attach the carbs to the engine. The originals came with air barbs and are from a 1979 XS SF. If I am not going to reuse the vacume petcocks do I need to purchase new holders with or without air barbs. I will get the new ones from JBM. I will probably be using a TC Bros tank with a manual petcock.

Thanks.

air barbs are nice to have for sync'ing the carbs (manometer method) otherwise you're stuck with dead cylinder method

Attachments

• bottle manometer.JPG
    bottle manometer.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 357
- although if youre planning on removing your head at any stage soon you could think about this modification a la goran persson...drill, tap, plug - remove plugs and replace with barbs when necessary

2007-06-17Head01.jpg

My 38's have blanking plugs which can be replaced by vacuum barbs for syncronising the carbs

Attachments

• carb.JPG
    carb.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 356
The 78 & 79 BS 38's have the 6mm blanking plugs and 650 Central sells the little "Carb Barbs" that fit them and/or you can get the BS 38's angled carb boot holders from JBM with or without the barbs installed as an alternate vacuum portal. I agree that regardless of whether you are or are not using vacuum to operate the OEM petcocks (a pet peeve)....it's nice to have those vacuum portals one way or the other for synchronizing.

650 Central ... "carburetion"... look for "carb barbs", 6mm if you like that option. I do.

http://www.650central.com/

Best, Blue

- although if youre planning on removing your head at any stage soon you could think about this modification a la goran persson...drill, tap, plug - remove plugs and replace with barbs when necessary

2007-06-17Head01.jpg

Also, if you do that mod, after you're done carb syncing, you should cross connect those for ultimate balance.

Edit: Although, if you go 750 kit, or the big fin 650 kit, i'm fairly sure you'll block those off.

Back