Question on how to wire the PAMCO. 6822 Coil. Can green and black be together???

pnedac

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I see that the green wire needs to go to the negative on the coil itself. The red wire needs to go to the positive on the coil. But does the black wire off of the coil need to to go to a frame ground? Wellll, if the black wire out of the 6822 coil is the ground too, then why cant the green and the black out of the pamco and the black wire out of the coil all go to the frame ground?

I looked at the instructions on the pamco site, but there is no mention of this reasoning and I do not want to move forward until I get some clarification on this. I certainly do not want to blow up the bike though, most importantly.

I wish there were pictures for everything out there. I saw that there was a coupl of videos but they all address 80s models and I have a 77. Hmmm.

Any help is appreciated greatly.

pnedac,

1. The black wire from the PAMCO goes to frame ground.
2. The red wire from the PAMCO goes to the terminal on the coil that has battery applied from the kill switch. Usually the red / white wire.
3 The green wire goes to the other coil terminal. All by itself. No other wires are to be connected to the coil terminal with the green wire.
4. The color of the wires on the coil do not mean anything. The black wire from the coil does not go to ground.
5. You can also pull the wires off of the coil to reveal standard male terminals. Either terminal can be used for either battery or the green wire from the PAMCO. The coil is not polarity sensitive.

The coil is not grounded. There is no ground connection to the coil. The frame of the coil should be securely mounted to the frame with a bracket or clamp. The purpose of mounting the coil to the frame is not to ground the coil, but to provide a path for the heat from the coil.

Hers is a diagram of the wiring:

coilwiring.jpg

There are additional instructions on the web site www.yamahaxs650.com for installation.

Awesome. I see the light! If I understand correctly, the black wire off of the coil does not need to go anywhere. The green wire from the PAMCO just needs to go to it and that is all. Furthermore, the black wire from the PAMCO needs to be frame grounded and red from PAMCO needs to go to the coil (which also is the power to the coil). I think it was the black wire from the coil that was throwing me off there for a minute. I certainly appreciate the support. I will proceed with caution and hopefully it all works out!

Thanks again,

pnedac

Back