Question regarding powder coating the swingarm

jradvantage

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to powdercoat the swingarm. I'm also going to replace the plastic bushings with the brass. Do I need to remove the plastic bushings before getting it powdercoated? Or, do I need to remove everything from the swingarm pivot area and just sand the powdercoating off afterward?

Hope this makes sense. It's been a long day.

Thanks in advance!

John

Hi, John. Several threads on that here. Try the forum's google search (upper left), using the term 'powdercoat+swingarm'. If not already mentioned, the heat of curing will melt those plastic bushings, should remove them...

take them out or they will melt and make a mess, the powder coater should have heat safe rubber plugs so u don't have to sand where the bushings go, also for best results I would have it sandblaster clean first

Thanks, TwoMany. That answers my question. The heat was my main concern.
Thanks, 2eightcustoms. That answers my next question.

Sure appreciate the help!

John

Powder coating can be quite thick. Some have had problems with powder build-up on the ends of the tubes where the bushings insert. This holds the bushings out a little and the final assembly isn't right. The pivot tube doesn't stick out slightly as it should. The swingarm doesn't mount properly, not pinching the tube in place so the arm can rotate around it. Make sure there's no powder on the ends before you install the new bushings.

Back