Question

Dave48

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum.
I recently acquired a 1980 XS650 Special that I'm going to restore. I've never had a XS before so I'm going to have some questions as I go.
I was looking at aftermarket seats on Motorcycle Seats Direct website. There were several for 75-79 XS's and 78-79 XS Specials. Is there something different about the 80 Special's frame that make these seats not fit or is it just the taillight assembly?
Dave

I'm new to the forum.
I recently acquired a 1980 XS650 Special that I'm going to restore. I've never had a XS before so I'm going to have some questions as I go.
I was looking at aftermarket seats on Motorcycle Seats Direct website. There were several for 75-79 XS's and 78-79 XS Specials. Is there something different about the 80 Special's frame that make these seats not fit or is it just the taillight assembly?
Dave

Up to 1979 the seats were hinged on the side. In 1980 they changed over to snap in from the top method, and the side hinges were gone.

Thanks retiredgentleman
Are the frames on all of the later XS's the same?
Dave

Hi Dave,
not quite, the '80 has minor differences to mount the m/c for it's rear disk brake.
Later models switched back to a drum rear brake.
But all the clip-on seats swap regardless of year.

Finding a seat for my '82 was a drag. Most seats available that were in my price range were for the earlier models and the ones that fit my year were expensive reproductions. I ended up building my own seat - the pan from a felled road sign, the foam from a yoga mat, and vinyl from a couch someone had dumped by the roadside.

Not saying you have to go this route - just a reminder that there are always options!

Back