Sold / Found / Inactive - Question

GLJ

Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Just a question gentlemen. I've got the opportunity to make an offer on these 4 bike. Once upon a time they were fine bikes. ( When they were new) Now they look pretty rusty and crusty. Are they worth hauling home? If so what kind of value do you think they might have? I know nothing more than these pics.
1.PNG 2.PNG 4.PNG 3.PNG
None of them look like runners. I probably should be in stealth mode as they are not to far from gggGary.

You'd have a pretty long trip to get them, so factor that into your cost. Whether they're worth it or not to you would depend on what you want to do with them, what you can get them for, and whether or not they have titles; you're in Illinois, so they're parts bikes to you otherwise, and if there's paper you can easily sell a titled rolling chassis for $200 or so. If the goal is to refurb and ride, the open spark plug hole in the first pic raises a red flag, and you might consider gggGary's words of wisdom: "The only thing more expensive than a cheap bike is a free bike." If they're titled I wouldn't hesitate to give $600 for all four--if I was in the market.

Dam rough........78SE or 79SF, (Mag wheel bike)......79SII (BS38 Carbs, should have alloy 19" front/16" rear 36 spoke wheels, Rare.).......78E or 79F (standard, black plug on the rear brake plate)........81SH SII, (round chrome grab rail),........Think that's the 4 bikes.

Some money in the spoke wheels, engines are a pig in a poke, rest of the parts, (not much), are only whats salvageable. He should be paying you to take them away.

I dunno, GLJ, I think grizld1 has the right idea. $600 tops, and that's with titles. You might be able to make one running/rideable bike out of the four without too much more money (carb and petcock kits, battery, etc.). Lots of good parts there, if you have the time/inclination to part it out, but they do look pretty roached. To start with, give them each a kick, to make sure they're not stuck.

Thanks guys.
I agree with your assessments. Should be some good parts. Not sure if I want to spend a day hauling potential scrap home. Don't really need them. I thinking of offering him $200 for the 4 bikes plus $50 for each title. Not sure about WI but in IL scrape yards usually won't take a complete vehicle without a title.

IMHO $200 is reaching way out there just to haul off another man`s JUNK. Can`t tell allot from the pics but I can`t see anything salvageable at all. Unless there`s something you really need, by the time you hauled them home, dissembled to see if there`s anything useable, cleaned it, advertised it, packaged and shipped it I don`t see anything left but dirty hands. I usually buy most cheap XS650`s that come along in my area but I would walk away from this one. Just my thoughts.:twocents::shrug:

IMHO $200 is reaching way out there just to haul off another man`s JUNK. Can`t tell allot from the pics but I can`t see anything salvageable at all. Unless there`s something you really need, by the time you hauled them home, dissembled to see if there`s anything useable, cleaned it, advertised it, packaged and shipped it I don`t see anything left but dirty hands. I usually buy most cheap XS650`s that come along in my area but I would walk away from this one. Just my thoughts.:twocents::shrug:
Good thoughts.

PLEASE! do NOT tell me where they are....
I might. I have not made him an offer yet. I think I'm going to low ball him to the point that if he accepts it that it's a deal I can't refuse.:banghead:

Your off the hook gggGary
Damn :banghead::banghead:
upload_2018-11-15_18-49-56.png

Thanks Skull it was you that figured out the years.
Thanks grizld1 for the spot on the missing plug.
Thanks to all that responded. I appreciate your input.
Since it's cold now and my girlfriend isn't using the patio I'll park them there. Tarp them. Break them down over the winter. I'm sure there will be some good parts.

Got a guy locally looking for a pair of spoke wheels.
sounds like you get all the fun! :cheers:

Got a guy locally looking for a pair of spoke wheels.
sounds like you get all the fun! :cheers:
I'm more of a buyer than a seller (hoarder). Don't like the hassle of shipping and stuff. Not saying I wouldn't part with stuff if somebody showed up at my door with money.
You have caused me another problem with the 72 you posted the other day. It looks interesting. Is this how obsessions starts or could it be dementia.

To finish the saga. Rented a trailer and went to get the bikes today. Took a friend with. With the help from GPS found the place no problem. Seller was there at agreed upon time. So far so good. Then things went down hill. Bikes were in a out building 150 feet from driveway. 2 feet of dead grass and weeds to try and drive through. Plus God knows what tire piercing metal is under the grass. Went and looked at the bikes (walked). As I said they are in an outbuilding, a very old outbuilding. This thing is leaning at a 60 degree angle. It made me nerves to walk inside. Oh well no risk no reward. The bikes looked far better in the pictures than in person. Looked them over pretty good. All the motors seemed stuck. Not sure any would role. Made a command decision. Abort! Did not feel like trying to drag these things to the trailer. Now to add insult to injury he had a machine shed full of more stuff. Since we we there might as look. He has some interesting stuff. A VW sand buggy with a very nice frame. I can't tell you who made it but my buddy can. He has one like it. There was a Porsche from the 70s and a Bradly GT kit car. Plus another 20 or so metric bikes. Just nothing I'm interested in. My friend also has a VW trike. It's got a funky Springer front end on it that he doesn't like. He found a set of forks and trees that he liked. Now is where the salt gets in the wound. He doesn't have any cash on him. I got to pay for his forks. Plus I got to take the butt ugly Kawasaki forks to my shop for him to work on.
36.PNG 37.PNG
All in all it was an interesting day. Plus my buddy will be down to work on his forks. Nice to have company from time to time.

repeat don't PM me the info.............
:speechless: :wink2:
I did tell him that if he ever gets them moved to where I could get close with a trailer to give me a call. I might still be interested.:banghead:
If you ever decide you want the contact info PM me.

Back