Question?

Gator xs2

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Okay. My best friend has a 2014 CB1100. When he parks it his handlebars are to the left. I said “That’s wrong”. He told me that’s safer for the bike. He even showed me a video. If that’s the case, why are all the steering locks on these old vintage bikes on the left side? Seems to me the bike could tip over more easily with the bars to the left. I always lock my steering and give it a gentle pull up. Anybody got anything?

I’ve always turned my bars to the left. I think that when it is on the kickstand it is more stable that way. Turning the bars to the right would move your center of gravity and leave it more susceptible to tipping over that way if it were nudged or bumped. The kickstand prevents it from tipping to the left. Now if it’s on a center stand, then the theory would probably be invalid.

I know. That seems to be the trend. Weird. But you ain’t locking your vintage steering to the left. You’d think even back in the day that they woulda caught that one.

Willis is correct.
To the left is more stable. The front wheel will want to flop to the left anyway. And, you'll see most bikes parked thataway.

Personally, that makes me cringe.
Having laced and trued so many wheels over the years, I can't stand to see side loads on spoked wheels. I prefer to park with the front wheel to the right, so it's perfectly vertical. Unstable? Yes. Just me and my being me.

If the fork lock has the wheel turned to the right, it won't flop. A bit of stability there...

Seems like when I have to think about it I'm bundled in 15 layers and it's the only way I can get off w/o getting hung up.

Also with my CB750 bars, my Special master cyl is level if I let it hang to the right. The other way, it's like 90 degrees and I don't want have picture losing my brake fluid...

Last edited:
Another thing to take into consideration is the length of your shocks. Having put longer shocks on really affects the length of your side stand. The taller the shocks, the more the lean angle on your side stand is increased. With 14” shocks on mine and no modification to the side stand, I find leaning to the left is somewhat unstable in that direction. There is a lot to take into consideration. Basically if it feels unstable, then I won’t walk away. I’ll find an alternate solution. Last thing anyone wants is to come back to your bike laying on the ground taking a nap.

I have always turned the the front wheel to the right..to me it feels more balanced with all the weight still on the sidestand..i actually think there is a bit more weight this way than turning the wheel to the left...I rarely use the steering head lock..And up till now all my bikes have had mag wheels...Things might be different with spokes..cant say with certainty though....

You should turn the bars to the left in the northern hemisphere and the right in the southern hemisphere.

;)
lol8.gif
lol8.gif
lol8.gif

Attachments

• lol8.gif
    lol8.gif
    1 KB · Views: 0
  • lol8.gif
    lol8.gif
    1 KB · Views: 0
Back