Quick B38 bowl question PLEASE

Gordon in nc

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
First off PLEASE forgive me but I tried the search and gave up once I started seeing blocked 5twins photos......I know this has been covered before.....probably dozens of times but I'm going the easy route (flame suit on) and asking out right.

Stock 1978 XS650E, B38 carbs....the bowl

Where does this hole go and more importantly how do I clean it out?.....these have been through the ultra sonic, dip, wires, spray cleaner, soak......compressed air SEVERAL times and I can't get anything to pass through this hole. I don't remember it when I did the B's carb a couple years back (has it really been that long?)

You can thrash me all you want.....I'm a big boy and can take it but PLEASE tell me how to get at the other end of this thing (the small screwdriver is pointing to the offending hole)

I've been going through one of those spells where I don't even want to walk into the shop....but today I made myself go down there and start back to work on these carbs......now I'm stuck. (pun intended)

Gordon in NC
1975 XS650B x 2
1978 XS650E x 3

float bowl mod1.jpg

Hi Skull,
how about the thousand words that go with that one picture, eh?
That raised boss and blind hole cost money.
Most likely they had a warehouse full of the bastards so they used them even if the blind hole had lost it's purpose.
It must have had a purpose at one time just like the 4-stud exhaust valve cover did, but what?

...as my Gramma would have said: "that hole is there just to make inquisitive boys ask questions."

;)

...as my Gramma would have said: "that hole is there just to make inquisitive boys ask questions."

;)

I was done.........tried every trick known to man. I have EVERY other hole/orifice/opening/passage in these things spotless......these last two got me. I figure they had to be in the 1975B's carbs but I didn't take/make note of them when I rebuilt them. I looked through all my notes and......nothing about them.

I cant tell you how much help it is to ask a question and have it answered so quickly....I asked at 5:34 and got my answer at 5:49........I spent around an hour total on those two holes....probably got the cleanest blind holes in the hobby.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! Gordon in NC

Yes, the overflow stand pipe was eliminated on the '78-'79 BS38s but the casting remains. The hose nipple on the bottom of the bowl was also removed but, once again, the casting remains (just blank). Another minor change was to the drain bolts. The screwdriver slot in them was eliminated.

mv4p1Rc.jpg

5T - what else do you do besides compile knowledge of XS650 carbs. Your storehouse of knowledge and know-how (not quite the same thing) is nothing short of astounding.

I'll bet there aren't 3 people in Japan who have that much data and they designed and built these danged things!

:bow::bow2:

I like a bike like the 650 that had a long model run. I like discovering and learning all the little changes made to them. It's part of the fun I think. It's also a big help and necessary info when contemplating parts swaps. The carbs in particular require this, what with all the jetting and minor configuration changes made to them over the years.

I had a pretty good general knowledge of motorcycles when I got my 650 but it has taught me, or forced me to learn so much more. And I've enjoyed every minute of it, lol. I've learned so much more about electrics, carb tuning, brake systems, etc., all thanks to my 650 and my efforts to make it better.

5T is a lot more than just a carb guru. His overall knowledge of these bikes is much,much higher than most. He also has 4 or 5 other motorcycles that he rides. Also everything he posts is based on fact, not internet BS such as some others post.
Don't forget he builds and collects a large number of very useful tools for motorcycle maintenance.
Over the years, whenever I need specific motorcycle advice, I ask him and he gives me the straight facts.

You just gotta stuff something down in there that looks like a jet, just for the next guy. I would get the strangest giggle out of doing that.

Scott

You know Scott.......I get a chuckle when I think about doing something like that BUT.....with my luck I'M the one who would go back in there. Then you guys would get another photo/question and have to remind me it was a JOKE. Getting old isn't for sissies.

I was setting float height yesterday ( I'm doing one set of carbs and once they are done I'll do the other....both stock E model carbs) and got to thinking I hadn't checked to see if the floats were still good. The carbs were dry when I got them and this set was pretty crusty. I did shake them and did a visual inspection and they both seemed dry and hole free....so the floats got a good cleaning with a brass brush and they turned out looking fine. BUT........I figured I better go a step further and sunk both of them for a hour and I'll be damned....BOTH of them took on water. I can shake them and get enough of the water to come out to tell both are leaking from the bottom...the section that sits in the fuel. I'll not know now how they would have acted if I would had just put them back in......they are getting replaced.

Weird that we were just talking about leaking floats the other day.

It's always something..........you gota love it or it'll drive you crazy........Gordon in NC

PS.......+1 on 5twins

Last edited:
Oh good grief yes!!! She had three kids so I am pretty sure she did it precisely three times.

Back