Quick dumb questions

Capt_Zoom

Raider Rider/xs newbie
Reaction score
I'm a bit of a newbie to the xs650 helping my wife build her own bratstyle bobber (she's doing all the wrenching except for some motor stuff that I'm doing). She has a 1980 xs 650 that we have running with a carb from a '77 xs650.

1. Is there a simple way to get the mufflers off rather than cutting them off the headpipes. I don't have a tool kit for either bike so I don't have the proper spanner wrenches. We want to take off the mufflers so we can start modding things.

2. We're planning on using pod filters, '77 xs carbs, and unbaffled pipes that will end just behined the stock footpegs. Any suggestions on carb setup, jetting etc.

Thanks. With what we have in mind it should rival my '08 Raider for attention on bike nite.

Last edited:
I'm a bit of a newbie to the xs650 helping my wife build her own bratstyle bobber (she's doing all the wrenching except for some motor stuff that I'm doing). She has a 1980 xs 650 that we have running with a carb from a '77 xs650.

1. Is there a simple way to get the mufflers off rather than cutting them off the headpipes. I don't have a tool kit for either bike so I don't have the proper spanner wrenches. We want to take off the mufflers so we can start modding things.

2. We're planning on using pod filters, '77 xs carbs, and unbaffled pipes that will end just behined the stock footpegs. Any suggestions on carb setup, jetting etc.

Thanks. With what we have in mind it should rival my '08 Raider for attention on bike nite.

Don't buy the cheap pod filters, they seal off air holes for the jets and diaphram. Mikesxs makes a good set. Also, jetting on every bike varies. Its going to take some trial and error to find the right match, but depending on where you live going up one size on the main and one on the pilot seems to be what most people are doing.

Most of the time, I've seen the mufflers cut off the stock pipes. After 30-some years, even if they were made to come off, chances are they won't now.

The stock pipes are double wall and quite restrictive. If I were in your shoes I'd just get a new set of 'em. You might want to take a look at the set that MikesXS sells, part #07-0758. They end about 5" past the pegs, so if you're looking for just a straight set of pipes, these might be all you need. Stainless too, so you don't have to worry about the chrome turning blue or getting rusty.

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-44.html#products (scroll about a third of the way down)

The 77 carbs are good ones just as they are. If you go with pods, make sure that their boots don't obstruct the atmospheric pressure chamber openings. They can be trimmed away at those spots with a sharp knife. Far as I know, it's just the cheap Emgo pods that have this problem.

Back