1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Quick question re: fork oil

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mailman, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru

My shop manual calls for 4.6 oz of 30 weight oil per leg.
    72C294A1-F22E-4CD0-9A16-75F7AF616931.jpeg

I used 10 weight in my ‘77 and also put an extra oz. in each leg.
    4EEFD344-8E49-401A-AE9B-9225F5818BE9.jpeg

So do I need to run out and get 30 w?
    Thanks Bob

JimD54 likes this.
  2. JimD54

JimD54 "No...Try not. Do ... or do not. There is no try."

You're a brave man Bob..... asking a "oil" question. :whistle:

MaxPete likes this.
  3. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru

Haha! Ah hell, I’ll just go get what the manual calls for and be done with it! :p

JimD54 likes this.
  4. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru

That's hard to say. Fork development and technology wasn't very far along back in the early '70's. Many bikes called for plain old motor oil but that may be because dedicated fork oil was hard to come by back then. You may have to do some experimenting. The 10wt. called for in the later forks is probably too light, but maybe a 20wt. might be better than a 30. Hopefully 2M will see this and chime in. He's had his XS1 like forever and has probably tried all sorts of oils and weights in his forks.

TwoManyXS1Bs and gggGary like this.
  5. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru

Thanks , yeah I’ll hold off a bit, I can still put the front end together and add the oil later.

JimD54 likes this.
  6. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru

Found this, looking around.
    80563F4A-C28D-48DF-9ABD-2F23797C8582.jpeg

7. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru

Well, there you go. What you don't use in the forks you can run in the motor, lol. No mention of amounts though. More that stock is good on the later forks but I don't know about the early ones. You have to be careful when doing this because too much will blow the seals, lol. Been there, done that, years ago on a Beemer I was hanging a sidecar off of. To stiffen the forks up, I put heavier oil, and more of it, in the forks. They were stiffer alright, but after a couple big bumps, one of the fork seals popped right out of the leg, lol.

8. In that pic with the Frappuccino bottle (the 9.5 oz. size), you can see where I've marked a 250cc line, in case anyone else wanted to copy, mark-up their own cheapo measuring bottle. That's about an ounce, 25cc, over stock. Strictly for XS1/XS1B forks...

gggGary and Mailman like this.
  9. Superjet

Superjet XS650 Addict

Man must of been quite the mess to clean up...:(

Mailman and MaxPete like this.
  10. cafetools

cafetools XS650 Enthusiast

Utah
    If I'm doing fork oil I will always put in thicker grade oil. This stiffens up the front end and makes the bike handle and brake much better under having braking and turning. If the manual calls for 4.7oz put in about 5.5oz.

I use the heaviest maxim oil 30w.

Eotnak, gggGary and Mailman like this.
  11. mrtwowheel

mrtwowheel Honda Etched On Brain

I've never bought specified "fork oil". Non-detergent oil is still available at some farm stores for hydraulic use, same stuff as that oil in the "fork oil" bottle. This is what I use in my compressor too. The plain stuff without the fancy expensive bottle is getting harder to find, but it's still out there in 10, 15, 20 and 30 weights. That "anti-foaming" on the bottle means Non-detergent.

Scott

gggGary, Meddy and Mailman like this.
  12. rick1956

rick1956 Just a regular guy.

After I rebuilt my front forks, I just looked around on my shelves to see what I had. I ended up using some Pennzoil power steering fluid I had sitting there. Works great.

mrtwowheel and gggGary like this.