Quick update on the MG V50

pckopp

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Pulled the carbs hoping for the best. I did drain them before I put it back under its cover oh so many years ago. The verdict: Not horrible. Would have been better if I had pulled them and blown them out, but so it goes.

The left one:
V50Lcarb.jpg

The right one:
V50Rcarb.jpg

One nice thing is they are so simple. The only piece missing on the right carb picture is the throttle cap.

I see some quality time in warm carb cleaner for these two.

Make sure the o-rings on the choke jets are good or they won't seal into the bowl properly.

Hi all,

I've only been riding the XS650 lately but I have not been idle in the garage. My V50 is back together and running.

I still need to plumb in the rear brake and front turn signals but it is a runner.

I think the best version of the small block MG was the 650, but it's virtually the same except a little more power. I can tell you from experience that these bikes benefit greatly from Dyna S aftermarket ignition. It will cure the stumbles and idling difficulties they seem to come up with. We've had the same Dyna S on our 650 since 1988. There was one year MG put a factory electronic ignition on the V50, but it was problematic and they went back to points. Great motors that will run as hard as you like seemingly forever. And unlike our beloved XS650, the faster you go the smoother they run. They grow on you to make matters worse. You might want something else, but you don't want to get rid of the Guzzi to do it, so it just keeps hanging around while other bikes shuffle in and out of your stable.

I rode it today for a couple of hours. What a treat! The bike ran very well with only the occasional stumble. I do not have the stock air cleaner installed. It is a huge assembly and I am trying for a more open engine bay look. Without the air cleaner the oil recovery tubes from the cylinder heads and the crankcase breather tubes are just open below the carbs. There was a film of oil in that area when I returned home today. I need to get that plumbing sorted.

weaselbeak - did your 650 have points or an electronic ignition? Mine is electronic with two large modules on either side behind the battery. I went with a Pamco kit for my XS650 and it certainly helped. I have the original coils so I thought I might replace those next, along with wires, caps, and plugs.

I stopped for a coffee with some other riders and parked next to an R1200GS. Mine looked like it would fit in a saddlebag! Heh. A fine day.

I've got a small block Guzzi and agree with weaslebeak about Dyna S ignition. My bike immediately ran better after I installed it. This is a bike I will never part with either.

Mine is an 84 650C, made with points. That occasional stumble you have is normal with the points systems that came with these bikes, and the Dyna S wipes it out unless you have other issues. My dealer suggested the change when the bike was brand new.

Back