Quick Wiring Question

vincemoccio

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have had serious problems with my 1979 XS650 and am new to building these motorcycles. My bike currently will not start due to a fuse that blows every time I start it. I am planning on re-doing the whole wiring. Any opinions on what sites I can buy all the wiring from? I have an aftermarket speedo, headlight, taillight. Anyone think I should switch to PAMCO? If so, how do I go about this?

Thanks guy!

Broken switch, Bad connections, Broken wire shorting out or Bad earth connection. Any one of these could be causing a blown fuse. You need to clean all connectors,couplings,switches and earths.

Using a multimeter, or continuity meter check all wires for resistance. Infinity reading means its good, any readings below that means there is corrosion or strands broken or broken wire.

Here are some links from "Electrical" in the Tech menu, (your friend).

78E has 1 fuse a 78SE has 4 fuses. Helps to identify which bike you have

If it is the main fuse blowing, uplug the regulator and see what happens. Could be a bad rectifier or regulator, (still have the old mechanical regulator)? Make sure you have a fully charged battery, put it on a trickle charge overnight before doing any tests. Save juice by kickstarting.

Before buying any new parts or systems work to identify the problem.

Back