Quietride helmet review.

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
OK snigger if you will but I am getting old, dammit all anyways. Years of abuse and just getting older have been hard on my hearing. Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) is in full swing. A day on the bike makes it worse. Even the full boat, quiet Beemer leaves the ears ringing after a few hours in the saddle. OK, you need to protect your hearing. So I found quietride helmets while looking at options. His special niche is inflatable ear muffs that use a bladder to push gel/foam cups against your head to seal out noise. The only other company I saw doing this is a high end aviation supplier with $1000 plus helmets.
Al's quietride is a small operation in Minnesota and he runs his business with a the personal touch that is both refreshing and increasingly rare. I looked all around and spent a couple of months chewing on it before talking to Al and ordering one of his helmets. I went all out; full face carbon fiber street helmet with upgrade hi-fi speakers and bluetooth intercom system installed and ready to ride.

http://www.quietridehelmets.com/

I received the helmet fast (2 day UPS delivery) and I have about 100 miles on a couple of "bare" bikes with it. So far all is good, much reduced noise, quality is high, all looks great, shield mechanism, fit, ease of use all are great. I ordered this with a bluetooth intercom and it snyched instantly to my phone after a quick charge of the battery. The intercom allows voice dialing which worked perfect first try. I will be putting on some miles on both bare and a couple fairing equipped bikes.
Some pics, when I got it.
The helmet looks good I like the carbon fiber appearance it's light. About my only nit to pic so far; with the intercom and inflation system hanging on the bottom it looks a bit buck rogers or busy. No doubt as time moves on this will all be integrated into the shell for a smoother look AND less stuff sticking out, wind noise.....
Helmet and bluetooth intercom are made in China. Helmet the DOT sticker but not snell approval. Not sure about that lack but for now will guess it's the small size of Al's company, there is a lot of stuff to get done a endless money to be spent bringing a new system like this to market.

Full disclosure: I bought this because I thought it was the only product around that met all my needs/wants. After emailing then talking to AL, he cut me a bit of a deal. He installed the new upgrade speakers that won't be on the web site for a couple of months. He is running a special sending the intercom no charge in return for posting a helmet review on his site. He agreed to send the intercom with the helmet in return for my promise to make that review, and I stated I would put some reviews up on various MC forums as well. I will make a series of reports as I get some miles on and do some A-B testing with this and my full face Shoei and HJC helmets.

Quietridehelmets offers a range of options; from retrofit ear muff kits to several styles of motocross, snowmobile and street helmets.

Attachments

• mo76prtz 010.JPG
    mo76prtz 010.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 608
  • mo76prtz 015.JPG
    mo76prtz 015.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 602
  • mo76prtz 016.JPG
    mo76prtz 016.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 554
  • mo76prtz 005.JPG
    mo76prtz 005.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 566
  • mo76prtz 004.JPG
    mo76prtz 004.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 656
  • mo76prtz 007.JPG
    mo76prtz 007.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 541
Very interesting.

I still remember evaluating Bose noise-cancelling aircraft headsets. --- Eerie...

The Retrofit EarMuff kit is worth looking into.

For me, the biggest problem is wind/whistle noise, riding in the open.
Would like to hear your evaluation on that...

wind/whistle noise, riding in the open.
Would like to hear your evaluation on that...

Yup even with the muffs pumped up I found a "noise area" under the helmet near my neck on right side, (not the side with the stuff hanging...) I can stop it by covering with my hand.

First thought an inflatable neck seal...

I fear I'm already well on the road to

c4d6bc85fa69d16c990484697470f924.jpg

I was one of the first customers for Lightspeed engineering's ANR aviation headsets 20+ years ago.

I am needing a new helmet and wanted to upgrade, and was wanting bluetooth somehow.
I think my current helmet is noisy and was wanting a quieter higher quality one with a removable liner.

I sometimes wear earplugs when -- I remember to put them in.

I will be very interested in your review

My favorite gear is a full face helmet with flip shield, Sony Walkman FM radio with ear buds. I zip tie the Walkman clip to my handlebars. Even on my GoldWing I like to have the Walkman for the freeway. I'll be on a bobber soon and I know I'll take some ribbing for the full face helmet, but hey, it's comfortable for me.

Scott

Helmet looks pretty cool.

Question: Is that mic on the outside of the helmet actually placed there or is that just for the pic? I can't imagine the mic would pick up your voice when riding if it were on the outside.

Sorry those pics got a bit blurry. The mic is on a boom inside, the squeeze bulb to inflate the earmuffs is outside on the front.

Put 30 miles on the wife's 750 shadow with a windshield yesterday. The helmet is very comfortable, size runs with most brands. A large is a perfect fit for me. snug but not tight. The chin strap has an adjustable quick release ratchet type closer with padding between the strap and my chin, works very well, this my first helmet with one and I like it! Shield has 5 height detents and does not have a positive latch for the closed position. I heard no wind noise from the shield. I did a shield remove, install, and it came off with no problem, but took a bit to get it back on, but I think that's mostly a new to me, and new parts thing. It has one chin and two eyebrow, open, close vents, they work easily with gloves on. With the shield down behind a MC windshield it was a bit warm on an unusual 80 degree day in April in Wisconsin. On the Shadow at my height I noticed a bit of "booming" from MC windshield, helmet, air flow, this sometimes happens with any helmet.
I will be contacting Al, the "new" hifi speakers may be a bit thicker than his previous speakers, it seems like the speakers are pushing on my ears before the surrounding seal is fully "tight" against my head. The Shadow exhaust is fairly loud, it's a stock pipe but I suspect a PO may have used a drill. I did several AB seal comparisons during the ride, both pumping and releasing the seal is easy and intuitive. Pumping up the ear seals makes a for a noticeably quieter ride. More to come! I still need to do some helmet swap comparisons.

Isn't riding with speakers in both ears illegal? I think it is here in Fibland. I only did it a few times many years ago, with a original Walkman cassette player and it's headphones, Did not like it at all.

I've been using ear plugs for years. I've never liked loud noises; concerts, yard equipment and machine shop; and use to use bits of tissue until I discovered foam plugs many years ago working at power plants. These were the yellow straight plug type that and roll up and insert. I then started using them around the house for yard work, grinding, cutting, etc.

I like the blue type now, HEROS brand, which are rated at 33DB reduction, the highest I can find. Six or seven years ago at a Beemer national meet, I had some custom ones made but find they aren't as effective for me at the HEROS. My wife likes her custom made ones and is happy with the noise reduction but I think her hearing is off anyway, at least when I'm saying something ;-)

I also have one of these flexible cuffs from the link below that are very effective but not so good for warm weather. They are good when I'm in Maine though and also block drafts on those cold rides. They can be removed/installed easily on your helmet.

http://www.amazon.com/WINDJAMMER-REDUCES-Helmets-original-copied/dp/B003FHLNVK

Yes ear muffs are illegal in some states, what are the odds of getting a ticket for THAT?
Did some test riding yesterday. Rode the xs 15 miles with the quietride on, came back, switched to the HJC full face, made it to the top of the hill, turned around to get the quietride. It was THAT much of a difference! Also took the Big K1200LT out, with the windshield up that bike is quiet adding the quiet ride it was almost "tomblike".

Al at Quietride emailed this;

" I want to address a couple of your concerns. I discovered 95% of headphones you can buy online or in a store are "on ear" or "over ear" headphones. Only Bose and aviation noise reduction muffs with headphone speakers are larger "around ear noise reduction muffs with headphone speakers inside. By design they have much deeper pockets to keep the headphone speaker away from pressing on the ears as the ear muff pads are not pressing on the ear, but are around the ear. I struggled with compromising as much as possible with getting the speakers as low as possible in the around ear noise reduction muff without increasing the depth to much which would make it difficult to fit the muff into a standard helmet including air bladder between the ear muff and the inside of helmet shell. I ended up with an around ear noise reduction muff that is 2mm deeper than original muff with helmet speakers by designing narrower ear muff cup and adding extra black washer to hold 40mm headphone speaker as low in ear muff as possible. See attachment below showing original and new headphone muff design. The trade off for listening to headphone sound system is you might feel headphone speaker pressing on your ear to a small degree.

You should find the around ear noise reduction muffs will seal around the ears with very minimum air pressure so the headphone speakers do not apply to much pressure to ears. Adding more air pressure when earmuffs are already sealing around ears will not increase noise reduction. After riding for a few minutes you will notice that you are not away of around ear noise reduction muffs pressing against your head. Pressure from side pads and ear muff pads will all blend together as one.

I tried putting an air pump in the chin pad in front of helmet like Scorpion helmets and others do with inflatable side pads, but it did not pump air very fast and sticking your thumb or finger in front of helmet was very cumbersome and slow pumping air compared to having air pump on left side front of helmet."

Gotta love that kind of costumer care! So I backed off how far I am pumping up the bladders. That seems good.

xs's 003.JPG

xs's 005.JPG

Glenpm that cuff looks cool! I ordered one, will do some testing with that also.

I have ordered and used two of the "neck cuffs" above they are very good at reducing sound. Probably the best single thing you can do to reduce noise. First one lasted quite a while,but I think it finally wore, tore. Second one seemed to have some issues with the "sticky" that keeps it on the helmet getting a bit gummy. It easily cleaned off the helmet with a bit of mineral spirits. Since the Quietrides have tubes, wires passing under the helmet edge it's kinda hard to fit cuffs. They are best in warm down to cold weather,the reduced air flow can be a bit of an issue in really hot weather. A useful item on low or no windshield bikes. I'm on Quietride helmet #2 when I found a scorching hot deal on one on fleabay. I installed a Sena S5? bluetooth on that one which works fine, easy with phone and GPS. Connecting with other riders has still been a royal PITA. :mad::(:mad: but it wasn't new or the latest version. JRP has an S10 Sena in his helmet and we never did get them to talk to each other. I've seen reviews saying the field has tipped towards the newer Cardio for connectivity and features.

Last edited:
I've seen reviews saying the field has tipped towards the newer Cardio for connectivity and features.

...YUP - the CARDO PackTalk Bold is definitely the hot set-up - waaayyy better than anything offered by SENA and it is the only system on the market that is waterproof (the SENAs are not).

Yeah I think so also, but he sent me new valves and tubing about a month ago. the tubing to the pump tended to degrade he sent translucent surgical tubing as a replacement. Thanks for the reminder I need to get a hold of him and order a couple clear shields.

Sent an email, face shields are on the way, Thanks for the reminder.
I also asked about his business, will report when I hear back.

Last edited:
Hey, guyz.
Been awhile. Doin a buncha ridin'

I *love* the sounds of my vertical-twin XS1B and V-twin Vegas.
I *hate* the wind noise.

It was bad enuff in my old Electro 3/4 helmet, my new HJC IS-33 II is even worse, with a nerve-racking whistling. Yeah, typical on my favorite style, the flip-visor 3/4 helmets, but even my older full-face HJC helmet is noisy.

I ride with the larger Dart Marlin flyscreen. Keeps the wind off the chest, but the airflow starts at about nose level, enveloping my helmet in wind blast.
20200530_Vegas_avatar2.jpg

For the winter, I fitted a spoiler atop the flyscreen, keeps the cold offa me. Removed it for the warmer weather riding. Decided to reinstall it to see if it would reduce the wind noise.
20200814_150417.jpg

It helped a lot, as most of the wind now passes just above my head.
But, not good enuff. The wind noise still bugs me.
So, been experimenting with various packing foams and such.
20200814_HelmetMods-01.jpg

Results?
Zero, zip, nada.
Just as noisy as before.
Definitely *NOT* the way to go...

Last edited:
So, let's have another look into Alvin Halfaker’s Quiet Ride Helmet muffs kit.

https://www.quietridemuffs.com/

An online review shows that he's been busy developing the next version, incorporating Active Noise Reduction (ANR).

https://www.webbikeworld.com/quiet-ride-helmet-review/

I went ahead and ordered his muffs kit last week.
It arrived in 3 days.
20200814_HelmetMods-02.jpg

I took the 2 muff cups and simply placed them over my ears.
Dayum! Everything got really quiet.
This should be good...

Back