Quietride helmet review.

Let the carnage begin.

Rip out the helmet's guts.
20200814_HelmetMods-03.jpg

Yeah, I'll need to completely redo the headset speakers.
Also ordered a spare set of replacement cheek pads, for if/when I over-destroy...

One *huge* question pops into my noggin.

Just exactly *where* do the ear muffs go?

If I'm off by just an 1/8" (3mm), this whole project could be uncomfortable, unsuccessful, wasteful. I know that most of us have 2 ears, but are they in the same place? This'll have to be done specifically for *my* ears, not a one-size-fits-all kinda thing.

Enter epiphany.
I fitted the helmet liner tightly atop my head, centered and aligned where it normally sets above my eyebrows. Then took an earcup and fitted it in the most comfortable and effective position over my ear. Using a marker, drew the outline of the top of the earcup onto the liner's foam.
20200814_HelmetMods-04.jpg

Did the same for the other side.

Checked the marker lines, found that the left and right were perfectly symmetrical, same height and setback.

Ok, we've got a starting point.

Cut away the liner foam, slit the liner fabric, in preparation for wrapping it over the foam edge.

Used some 3M 90 spray adhesive, and wrapped the liner fabric over/around the liner foam.
20200814_HelmetMods-05.jpg

And, this is how it looks from the inside.
20200814_HelmetMods-06.jpg

Now I've got some sort of a starting/reference point, to place the earcups, outline, and cut away helmet guts.

*Yawn*, this is as far as I've gotten.

I'll update when this horrendous project continues.
Hopefully sooner than November...

Those muff over the ear parts look similar to what I have to wear while running lawn equipment and chainsaws. If I could get something even half as quite and comfortable to live with while riding motorcycle I would be ecstatic!

While using the power equipment lawn mower old Farmall, weed wacker and so on I can easily listen to music on Mp3 player. Often find myself turning the volume down a bit and can still hear the sound of the motor clear enough to know if it was not running right but not so load to disturb my listening to the music.

Not sure if it is just that I'm more sensitive to certain frequencies or what but in the last few years the wind noise while riding has been almost unbearable with out ear plugs and finding ones that are not painful but actually do something has been a challenge.

...Those muff over the ear parts look similar to what I have to wear while running lawn equipment and chainsaws. If I could get something even half as quite and comfortable to live with while riding motorcycle I would be ecstatic!

Ya know, the thought of just clamping the helmet to the drillpress and boring completely thru with a 4" holesaw crossed my mind. Then you could simply slip your chainsaw or shooting muffs over the holes...:D

Mushing on...

Ground off the chinstrap rivets, removed the chinstraps.
Apart now, all this stuff has to be modified.
20200816_HelmetMods-07.jpg

The cheekpads attach to removable high-density styrofoam cheek blocks, which will be next in the carnage. The earcups were fitted over them and traced with marker. Razor sharp knives and a Dremel used here.
20200816_HelmetMods-08.jpg

Can't believe I'm doing this on a brand new $170 helmet.
Ever get that sinking feeling when you've passed the point of no return?

Last edited:
Now the cheekpads.
Fit one over the cheek block and earcup.
20200816_HelmetMods-12.jpg

Good grief, this was the most challenging part of this mod.
Preplanning the cuts, so as to retain cheekpad fabric for folding-over the cut foam and edges consumed many brain cells. Not to mention the agony of knowing that there's no do-overs.

The 3M 90 adhesive spray has this uncanny ability to fly around everywhere, sticking to every and anything, including behind what you're spraying, making a mess. Or, it's just me. Mask off every surface, except where you want this goo to stick.

Whatta mess.
But it has some really good holding power.
Pull the fabric over and around the edges and stick it.
20200816_HelmetMods-13.jpg

Assemble and trial-fit the new cheekpads, cheek blocks, and earcups.
20200816_HelmetMods-14.jpg

One earcup is dragging on a cheekpad edge, will fix that later.

Now trial-fit the sub-assemblies into the helmet.

20200816_HelmetMods-15.jpg

Looks ok.
I slipped the helmet on, and........

Wow!

It fits!
And, the place already got noticeably quieter.
Even without the bladders, and pumped-up.

Good.
Time for dinner and a nap...

Those muff pads look exactly like the pads that went on my Navy issue safety helmet or a pair of "ears" back in the day. They hurt like hell after a bit. Just looking at them makes my head hurt. You may be fine with them. If I want quiet, I'll take the Buick. Good luck! :)

Cut ANR's into a helmet? From my powered parachute days.
20200816_171043.jpg

Use the helmet on the electric bike and the headset on the lawnmower these days.

20200816_171005.jpg

That helmet bottom cuff this has seen a lot of miles and while a bit beat up, it's still going strong, used it on madness today, no windshield and mostly sub 60MPH riding but it really kills wind noise. I need to replace the ear bladder inflation tubes on the old Quietride that cuff is on, parts are here just needs doing

Those muff pads look exactly like the pads that went on my Navy issue safety helmet or a pair of "ears" back in the day. They hurt like hell after a bit. Just looking at them makes my head hurt...

I've experienced same with tightly sprung aviation headsets.
With the adjustability of the air bladders, maybe this won't happen.
We'll see...

That helmet cuff looks to cut off a lot of air.

Wonder if this could work...

View attachment 173574
Well I'm not a Texican but I don't notice a lack of air. Less it's really hot, but cuff on, face shield open a crack is quieter than face shield shut no cuff. shrug.

It is typical to "pump it" till I feel a bit of pressure then after 10 15 minutes to add a "little more" air as the bladder etc all warm up, settle into the inflated position.

Those muff pads look exactly like the pads that went on my Navy issue safety helmet or a pair of "ears" back in the day. They hurt like hell after a bit. Just looking at them makes my head hurt. You may be fine with them. If I want quiet, I'll take the Buick. Good luck! :)

For those who are a bit apprehensive about tight muffs, I suggest trying a pair of Auritech earplugs. I recently bought a pair and tried them out today. They are extremely comfortable and make riding very quiet. They do not give that weird blocked ear sensation like when you put a finger in each ear, a sensation often associated with earplugs.

plug.png

These earplugs contain a ceramic filter.

I've never had any luck finding comfortable earplugs, but tend to give up in short order. You don't have issues with the stems dragging when you put your helmet on?

Back