1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

R6 Forks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Leslie, Oct 6, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Has anyone fitted a pair of Yamaha R6 forks the early R6 forks to there XS650 not the later USD R6 forks with Radial calipers

Leslie.

2. Cornish Pixie

Cornish Pixie Shiny obsessive

Hi Leslie, not had any experience of this but will be interested to here peoples thoughts on the subject, was thinking about using more modern forks on my cafe project. Thanks for asking the question:)

3. DirtBag-360

DirtBag-360 XS650 Member

they are almost a direct swap. the top bearing carrier needs to be opened up a little bit. im putting 2004 r6 forks on a 1981 xs650

4. SCHMEEL

SCHMEEL OneEye Designs

^pics please

THANKS 360

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  5. DirtBag-360

DirtBag-360 XS650 Member

i will post some up tomorrow when i get to my shop

6. FrankJones

FrankJones XS650 Member

Subscribed!

Posted via Mobile

7. Shakey

Shakey XS650 Addict

UK
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  8. DirtBag-360

DirtBag-360 XS650 Member

So I made it to my shop over the weekend to get some work done on the 650, and instead I had to make an emergency run to the hospital. While unloading a bike from my truck i lost my grip, long story short I now now have 5 stitches in my right index finger.

Attached Files:

9. numnum

numnum XS650 Enthusiast

London
    OOOOOOoooooouch

10. DirtBag-360

DirtBag-360 XS650 Member

It pretty much sucks, i have about another week before i can build any bike.

11. numnum

numnum XS650 Enthusiast

London
    I aint a wuss but ..When I saw the piccy I had to go for a little walk through the kitchen I felt a little white . I aint good with piccys like that ...medical dramas,Casualty etc are banned from the telly . Weird thing is I can gut fish or skin a bugs no probs . Anyways now manliness is restored and I feel better ... I hope it heals up nice and quick for you .

12. Shakey

Shakey XS650 Addict

UK
    Ouch indeed!
    I'm guessing the 'not able to do anything cos I have stitches in the crease of my right index finger' is going to be worse than the associated pain?!
    Get well soon

13. DirtBag-360

DirtBag-360 XS650 Member

numnum, i know how you feel. I have had many stitches in my life and never had a problem, but this time around i nearly passed out in the process.

shakey, the physical pain is nothing compared to the pain that comes from not being able to build any bikes.

14. Gordon

Gordon XS650 Junkie

I like the reflection, looks like camara juggle to me. And with a bum finger, to boot! Awe, go for it. Just wrap it up with gauze, cover with a Nitrile glove, and go for it. I like to see how much pain I can stand! No, just kiddin', but you could wrap it with a glove. Done that many times. But you do know that you will hit that spot everytime yyou don't want to.

15. DirtBag-360

DirtBag-360 XS650 Member

Gordon if i could bend it i would be working, as it is ive hit my hand on just about everything in sight. the doctor told me swelling should be gone in a week, so im just relaxing for a week and im back to the shop to play catch up.

16. Gordon

Gordon XS650 Junkie

Just be carefull, those 12oz. curls can be killer. Eat a couple of Tylinyde, a couple PBR's, and you won't feel a thing. Just jokin' with ya, I haven't had a drink in over15 years, and no other 'thing's in 10. Keep it above your heart, it won't throbe as soundly.

17. DirtBag-360

DirtBag-360 XS650 Member

Tylenol has been my best friend so far. Im not much of a drinker otherwise im sure that would be my best friend thru this

18. numnum

numnum XS650 Enthusiast

London
    If you know any teenagers I have found that they can prescribe very effective herbal sleeping remedies :)

19. jefft

jefft XS650 Junkie

Of all the sport bike front ends that have been put on the XS, is there a paticulair one that is the easiest, less modification required to swap?
    jefft

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  20. DirtBag-360

DirtBag-360 XS650 Member

I dont need to know any teenagers to find herbal remedies lol, but im not much for the herbals. This is the first sportbike front end i will have ever put on any motorcycles, so i would not be somebody to ask. The 2004 R6 front end isnt gonna be as much work as it would seem, just needs to have the upper bearing carrier in the neck opened up, and the upper bearing carrier on the forks needs some machining work to accept the xs650 bearings The bottom of the neck needs 3/16" cut off. when i can actually do some work on it i will take pictures for everybody to see.