1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Wanted - Race Tires xs650 special

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Grimmith, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Grimmith

Grimmith Samurai

Iowa
    ….tried for a bit. I only found drum brake rims for the rear, which can still work correct? unless disc is better? I also understand the difference between weight of the two. Just wana know what's better for racing lol. Either way, I have to wait for money before I can get any of it. so lets hope its available that time haha

gggGary likes this.
  2. solo2racr

solo2racr Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow

Disc rear should have less rotating mass than drum, but about the same un-sprung weight. Either disc or drum, the performance difference is minuscule, given that rear brakes are virtually useless on a race bike.

For steel rims, just scrounge eBay. 18" front and rear.

I would go with whatever works out easiest/cheapest for you.

Curious....... Are you looking at AHRMA or WERA Vintage rules?

gggGary likes this.
  3. Grimmith

Grimmith Samurai

Iowa
    Okay I'll give that a try. it will probably be like a year before I can get just one tire lol. I'm following AHRMA rules for novice historic veteran heavyweight. Definitely won't be the fastest on the track, but will give me the racing experience I need to move up to bigger and faster.

4. drgonzo

drgonzo XS650 Enthusiast

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    gggGary and Grimmith like this.
  5. Grimmith

Grimmith Samurai

Iowa
    So just for beginner and even race school purposes. Maybe for now just keep the 16" on the rear and switch to 18" on the front from 19". After passing school I can do more upgrades.