Ranger's 2016 xs650 chopoff build

Couldn't agree more, Jay is such a good dude! If you're looking to add Wes from Counter Balance to the list hit me up, I have an electrics tank he made but I don't think its going on my build after all.

Forget to mention Dan, Hugh and Gary to, this industry is full of awesome people!

I don't know Wes, but I've heard nothing but good about him and his products... wouldn't mind getting him to school me on some upholstery!

I'll think about that e-box. Haven't decided where I'm hiding everything yet. Do you still have that clamp-on kickstand? Might take it off your hands for another one of my bikes if you do.

Couldn't agree more, Jay is such a good dude! If you're looking to add Wes from Counter Balance to the list hit me up, I have an electrics tank he made but I don't think its going on my build after all.

Forget to mention Dan, Hugh and Gary to, this industry is full of awesome people!

Damn... just remembered TC Bros... Hung out with Tyler and Tim for a little bit last year, and they seemed like a couple of stand-up down-to-earth dudes.

And there's also LC Fabrication... the list goes on!

FINALLY got my motor torn down. Between the day job and seat orders, I haven't had a whole lot of time to do any wrenching.

So I took some time yesterday and today to tear the thing down. And let me tell you, I'm never tearing down another motor without a cordless impact. I used one on this motor, and it made things soooo easy.

I did, however, run into a few problems, so I'm hoping y'all can help me out.

First, this is a pic of the are where the kicker shaft rests. There on the left you can see what appear to be a bunch of gouges around a hole. And it almost looks like there's a roll pin or something broken off in there. I took a look at the inside of a mockup motor that I have, and it looks similar. Is this OK? Or am I missing something? Or is something broken that I haven't yet noticed?

full

The other thing I noticed was this:

full

There's a gouge that doesn't seem like it's that big of a deal, but to the right of that, the hole looks pretty rough. I'm thinking it's just a casting flaw that won't hurt anything... thoughts?

I've also got a few things I can't figure out how to remove:

First: This shaft under the clutch side cover is attached to a plate that appeared to only be held in with a single screw. I removed the screw, but no luck with the shaft/plate. I know you normally don't have to remove this part, but there's some metal trapped behind it (looks like a piece of chain or a piece of spring) that I need to get out... also, I'm planning on having my cases vapor honed, so I need them bare. You can catch a little edge of the back of the plate with a hammer and punch, but it's an awkward angle, and I figured I'd better ask around before whipping out the BFH.

full

This piece is to the left of the shaft in the previous photo. It has a slotted head, and a jam nut on the lower threaded portion. Also it had some of those folding tabs that Yamaha is fond of. I bend the tabs away and attempted to use my cordless impact on the jam nut, thinking I'd have to loosen it, then unscrew the shaft with the slotted head.

I'm not sure if that is the right procedure, that's just what I was guessing by looking at it. But when the jam nut didn't budge, I figured I'd better ask before trying harder.

full

And last, this is the bearing the shift fork shaft rested in. On the outside of the case, it looks like a freeze plug. Am i right in assuming I'll need to press the bearing out of the side of the case? Then I'll need to replace it with a new one?

full

Thanks in advance for your help. I wasn't able to find the answers, or clear enough pictures in my Haynes or Clymer manuals.

In addition to this build, and this being my busy time at work, I'll be moving and starting a new job on June 1... so things are a little crazy around here.

I got some more parts:

Thermo-dipstick made by a dude in Austin. I don't really care about my oil temp, I just thought this was cool.

full

$820 order from Mikes XS, engine rebuild stuff, Pamco, etc.

full

And these... I'll be using 2 of them...

full

Spent some time at Voodoo Vintage yesterday getting my neck tube made and welded to the frame...

Neck tube getting turned to accept harley-style bearing cups.

full

I spent a LOT of time with a cutoff disk, flap disk, hand file and angle finder getting the neck to fit just right... after a couple hours I thought I might run out of neck before I got it right.

full

I've done almost all of the welding on this frame, but I had Dave do the head tube... I know they're all important, but this one seemed to me to be the most crucial. Here's how she sits:

full

full

Got my motor torn down and discovered I have 1 stripped spark plug hole. I know I can repair it, but I don't want to. I'm putting too much money into this motor to do that. So I checked the head on my mockup motor... rockers were in great shape, but I found this:

full

I realize I could run this head also, but see above.

What it boils down to is: I NEED A GOOD HEAD AND ROCKER BOX.

Willing to trade for custom leather, or pay a reasonable price for them. Must be in good shape, including all the threads... I'd even take a bare head because I have the internals from the 2 heads I can't use.

I'd even take a bare head because I have the internals from the 2 heads I can't use.

I think you want to get a matching head and rocker box..i believe they are a machined matching set. I could be wrong but i thought i read that before

I think you want to get a matching head and rocker box..i believe they are a machined matching set. I could be wrong but i thought i read that before

You're right, they're line bored. I should have clarified... Either way I'm covered now.

damn man, LOVING that frame!! it's not my style of bike, but the bends and backbone are just sexy!! nicely done.

damn man, LOVING that frame!! it's not my style of bike, but the bends and backbone are just sexy!! nicely done.

Thanks man! Yeah, I was figuring this style wouldn't be for everybody... but I'm glad you can still appreciate it! It's my first full frame build, so I'm trying to make my mark on it.

What are the specs on the frame? Is David willing to make a similar frame? I'm 6'2 and want a bike more suited to my size. I like the tallish deraked look

I'm not really sure about the specs. It's based on one of his frames designed for a Sportster motor. The differences are I added 6" to the down tubes, flipped the seat post so there would be room for my centered single carb, and made the backbone out of 1"x2" square tube. The neck is sitting at 27 to 28 degrees of rake.

I can't speak to whether he would build one like this. I know it's not his style, but work is work. Best thing to do is shoot him an email. Tell him your interested in one similar to the one PJ built.

More parts arrived today, this time from Hoos Racing.

700cc JE forged aluminum pistons, pins, circlips, rings; RD performance valve springs; Shell regrind cam.

full

I'm using these 2 HHB speedo deletes for spacing out my front wheel on my girder front end... why 2, you ask? Wait and see...

full

I'm doing a little trading with a fellow enthusiast in California for a custom billet aluminum single-carb intake. (I'm happy to trade services if you have something I need... keeps cash in both our pockets). Anyway... he just texted me a couple of progress pics. This thing is going to be pretty damn awesome. And since it's "dolphin smooth" and centers the carb, I'm very interested to see how it performs.

full

full

Back