RC Spray Paint

wannabridin

XS650 Guru
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys. Wondering what everyone thought about using a R/C paint on the gas tank. I'm doing a lot of budget things here, paint included, so I'm mainly interested in if it would work, that's it. The paint is designed to flex and stick to lexan R/C bodies, but I don't see spraying on a different surface being an issue.

I'm really wanting to go with a root beer brown color and I like this one already mixed in a spray can: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151098540147

I know the bottles are small, but I have a good hook up on the price for them, so it's not a big deal. Alternatively, I could always get a small sprayer and use the liquid bottles of the same paint.

I figured with a good primer, the right base coat, this color coat and then some of the 2k clear spray cans, I'd be in good shape. Thoughts???

Hi wannab,
if the paint sticks to Lexan it should stick to your bike no problem and with 2-part clear over it it should be gas-resistant.
But WTF is R/C? All I can come up with is Radio Controlled and that don't seem appropriate.
&FWIW, while I do have a compressor, paint gun etc. my minimum materials cost for 2-part primer/base/clear is eff nigh $200 so I tend to go with rattlecans for small jobs.

yup, R/C = radio controlled. I could probably get all the supplies for the tank and fender for $100-150. which would be great, and I did it myself. Quality won't need to be show-worthy, so i think i'll be fine.

well i figure there's two options. Buy the R/C aerosol cans and spray it straight from there, or get a preval sprayer and use the R/C liquid paint.

I'll probably stick with the aerosol since it's properly thinned already.

I still run my nitro once in a while, I do know that nitro fuel is like acid to paint. (smells good though, don't it? 8)
It ate the stain right off my kitchen table, but ive never seen it eat the r/c paint on my bodies. I think I used Tamiya?

ya, Tamiya is some good paint! well if you spilled the nitro (it DOES smell goooood!!!) on the lexan, then no harm, it's like the ultimate clear coat!! but i remember spilling some directly onto the painted lexan interior and wiped it up pretty quick, and it didn't do anything.

remember RC paint is recommended to be sprayed on the backside of lexan and the finish is seen thru the frontside. Don't know if the finish color would look the same? Typically the backside that is painted looks dull and the front appears shinny thru the lexan

remember RC paint is recommended to be sprayed on the backside of lexan and the finish is seen thru the frontside. Don't know if the finish color would look the same? Typically the backside that is painted looks dull and the front appears shinny thru the lexan

RC paint is also used on the outside too. Like on nitro aircraft outside of engine cowl

Last edited:
My local hobby store has some really nice candies in rattle cans. It should work just fine. I sure do miss my nitro cars.

My local hobby store has some really nice candies in rattle cans. It should work just fine. I sure do miss my nitro cars.
Ide sell you my jato 3.3 if you were closer. I don't ship
That paint is the ultimate in flat. The black is like a black hole.

A neighbor had one they are fast as hell. I had a 3.3 revo and a HPI road car. My neighbor next door complained all the time so I traded they for 2 mini revos and eventually sold them and bought another handgun.

Back