Re-phase and balancing

dagored

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am planning to do a re-phase on my '73TX650. I will be increasing displacement to 750. Will I need to re-balance if piston weights are the same or very close to stock.
Also, I'm curious if anyone has had experience with the valve seat cutting kit that Mikes XS offers. It would appear that it is a knock off of the very high quality tooling that Neway offers. I'm not quite sure that I want to get stung with off shore junk, but like most folks these days my wallet is rather light. BTW pm me aaronw. If you aren't comfortable doing the work on your XS1B, I know just the guy for your job. I'm close by. I live outside of Nekoosa.
John

- i didnt balance my rephased 750...i know 2 people that have gone to the trouble of having this done just to be told that the balance was naturally very good-not perfect but not worth spending too much time on..mine runs sweetly with no radical vibrations...in fact my biggest problem is remembering to hold on-especially after having been riding one of my other bikes

- if i was going to be racing it i would rebalance the crank

- dont know anything about mikes valve seat cutter-all i can say is that in my experience with his products, you pay your money and take your chances

Last edited:
Not to promote anyone, but I purchased the set from Mike's, & it worked as good as my old stuff I sold off quite awhile ago. And the spring compressor (the one with multiple head's) has worked good also. Used it on my 650 head, then on a couple of Honda car's, a Dodge Neon head, and a few other's. Reached right into the pocket's the sprimg's sit in, with no problem's. And it was less money then the adapter's for a regular type spring compressor.

Back