re using stock 1981 xs650 ignition switch

xs650nutt

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
like the title guys, about to start rewiring and wondered whats what with the wires coming out of the original ignition?

Ha. Ha. Since you're quoting me...

Red is power into the switch, blue is power out mostly to the tail light, brown is power out to most everything else. If you're going to re-use the switch take it apart and clean it, and check the wires where they solder onto the little circuit board because they corrode there. Clean up the contacts and etc. Don't use wd40 on it, because in a couple of months it will turn to gum and you'll have a mechanical mess. Grease on the contacts and nothing on the rest of it, or this stuff called Break Free is prettty good. Usually used on gun mechanisms. If you ever need to bypass the switch in an emergency, just connect all three wires together.

I'm trying to find some help on purchasing a new ignition switch from Mikesxs. It's supposedly the correct switch, but when I cross referenced the OEM part # I ran across a question on this site about extra wiring in the new switch? Nobody ever answered the guy so I'm left wondering... I guess my question is; What are the extra wires for? Do they have any meaning for me? Should I go ahead and order the switch?

I'm trying to find some help on purchasing a new ignition switch from Mikesxs. It's supposedly the correct switch, - - -

Hi Runway,
that's MikesXS #12-0057 for your '81? Mikes sell several ignition switches and all but #0057 have a big screed of red ink saying, in effect, these are generic switches so be careful connecting them.
And #0057 is listed as fitting a whole slew of Yamaha bikes.
So, it's likely not an exact replacement but it will do, extra wiring and all.
First, plug it in and see what happens.
If it don't switch right, I guess you are in for some diagnostic work with your multimeter.

The only problem I'm having is that somebody took a screwdriver to my OEM switch.:wtf: I just want to make sure before I order this (#12-0057) that there isn't something out there that my money would be better spent on.:shrug: Other than that she's running great!

Post up for an iggy switch in the classies here lots of "builders" toss them.

I already ordered my switch though so hopefully it works out! I found one on ebay with a good customer satisfaction. I figure if it doesn't fit nice and easy it might just be an opportunity to move my switch or hide a toggle.

Back