Really Disapointed!

jservant

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Wife and I have been working on my 83xs650 for a couple of months now, today I finally got it all put together, exited to see if it would run. I had problems with the old petcock being thrashed, consequently, I got a vacuum type petcock used off of E-bay.
I went to the gas station and got some fuel and put it in the tank, Fuel poured out of the carburetors like a river and ruined part of the new paint job!!!:wtf::banghead::mad:
I had fuel all over the Place:mad: Frickin stupid vacuum Petcock f@##!!!

It might be something more than just the petcock. You might want to double check to see if your float needles are seating, and also your float height.

One morning I went out and there was a puddle of gas under the bike. I couldn't find any gas on the bike itself. I was going to start it and see if it would run, then I started wondering where the gas was coming from. The puddle was under the left side cover, right under the circular rotor cover. I took that off and there was a puddle of gas inside the rotor cover. If I'd tried to start it and there was the slightest spark from a rotor brush, it would have blown the side cover off. It was below freezing and I figure the vacuum petcock and a float needle both froze open somehow. Gas had run out the back of the carb and into the air box, down a wire that touched the air box, and on down the wire to where I found the puddle inside the rotor cover.

Don't use vacuum petcocks. I don't like them because they have no "OFF" position. When you buy from ebay you're just getting someones old junk.

When I bought my bike, one of the first things was to remove the vacuum petcocks and install manual petcocks from Mikesxs.com.

Sounds like your carb float valves are not seating fully. However, float valves are not designed to be a tight shut-off.................that's why its important to have working petcocks.

I think the 83 just used 1 petcock, so buy a new manual petcock.

If you haven't opened up the carbs for a complete inspection, now is the time to do it. Many posts here on carbs.................look in "Tech" at top of page.

I'm sorry to hear that yet another (just like me and TRG) had to learn the vacuum petcock no "OFF" lesson. Worse yet is to realize that a failure of that sort can fill your crankcase with gas too! Those petcocks were just one of what some have rightfully called the "Bells & Whistles"... like self-cancelling turn signals, reserve lighting units, light checkers and such to try to enhance and extend the old vertical twin's product life cycle. None of which would prove to worth a much over the long haul and a reliability problem source of their own.

Hang in there, as you work your way through the brier patch, so to speak. Blue

It took me a couple of tries, but there's nothing wrong with vacuum petcocks....when they're working properly.

Since you already have the petcocks, don't waste your money on yet ANOTHER set of petcocks. Order a rebuild kit from MikesXS.

Jservant, if the fuel leaked and the bike wasn't running, you have more than one problem. Even if the petcock was faulty, the needle/seats should have stopped the bowls from overflowing.

I've had to replace the needle valves in 100% of the XS650 carbs I've had, regardless of which model.

I've also had crappy luck with petcocks....be they vacuum or not. I'll be pulling a brand new, NOS Benelli petcock off my Mojave tank today for replacement.
It's just one of those things I've come to expect.

Thanks for all the advice, I should have not put all that gas in the tank!! I am gonna check the needle seats and check the "T" I think that is were it was leaking from....

and check the "T" I think that is were it was leaking from....

There are lots of 'T' repairs on the net. I think the best one probably is to try to find o-rings like are originally in it. Someone said they got some from a dealer, but it's not listed in any parts list that I know of. It would be nice if they would measure them and post what they found.

As Norm says "Measure twice, cut once". This same philosophy also applies to motorcycles. Make this part of your every day routine. Look, observe, test, measure, check, check again, acquire patience and change your thinking process.

Back