Rear axle and adjusters

53xs650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
When pulling my 1980 apart for rebuild I noticed that the axle adjuster on right side had no "notch" for chain adjustment. The nut looks like is put on with pipe wrench!!! My question is, not sure if axle adjuster is on wrong side or if it is from different bike. looking at pictures on here axles are installed with the axle nut on both right and left sides! For every thing to line up axle should be installed with nut on left side of bike, is this correct? thanks

suppose to be on the left, but what really matters is the adjusters. the side opposite the nut has 2 equal holes to allow the adj to slide on the axle to the other side, where as the other adjuster has one hole same diameter as the axle, and the other hole, the same diameter as the threads.
do you have a pik of this monkey wrenched adjuster? could just grab a used one off ebay. don't get new from mikexs. they are junk.

Thanks for the reply, No pictures, PO must have been a plumber as he used same wrench on the drain plugs too!

It's possible the adjuster was installed upside down. That would put the notch on the bottom inside edge. Clean and examine it closely. The notch may be there.

The PO had axle in backwards, with nut on right side, the adjuster does have a notch it was just on bottom. You can not just flip the adjuster. I had to flip axle over with nut on left side. Thanks

Back