Rear brake conversion

Halftwist

XS650 Addict
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
hey all,
Looking at converting the back brake on a 75 xs to disc style:

-Can I get this done with the stock wheel?

-Aside from rotor, calipers, pads, master cylinder, brake line, and modified brake light switch; what are some other parts needs I’m gonna run into and where is the best place to find all these parts?

-Is there a kit?

Thanks

Option one, use a stock mag from an xs with rear disc. Either switch to compatible swingarm or modify existing one to work.

Option two, buy (expensive) rear conversion kit to run an xs front spoke hub in the rear.

Option three, mikesxs sells a rear disc hub for a spoked wheel. Also very expensive.

Cheapest option is to run a disc mag, gonna be time effort no matter what route you go.

Yep, no ideal solution without some heavy spending. You'd need to install a swingarm with provision for mounting a caliper. OE XS650 cast aluminum wheels with disc (sorry, no "mag" in those boat anchors) are heavy, 16" diameter, and take a fat 130 tire, so if you're concerned about fast, sharp steering, that's not an ideal choice. 18" cast wheels from other Yamaha models have been used, but most are 1.85" width. A 110-18 tire can be forced on, but the profile will be distorted, and a 100-18 is pretty narrow for the bike--again, no really good choices. If the drum is cleaned up and quality shoes are installed (I like Ferodo), the drum rear brake on an XS650 is quite capable of locking the rear wheel, and that's all the braking force you can use.

If cost is no obstacle, though, gggGary fabricated a beautiful, light weight, rear disc system with 18" spoked wheel laced with a proper rim for "Madness," his mild looking, smoking hot machine. For the right money (read beaucoup bucks) he just might fix you up.

Last edited:
Maybe I’ll put that option on the back burner cus this CDI system is gonna hurt the chopper funds. Thanks guys

thnx grzld But I don't think that kind of money is floating around here.....
rear disc detail.jpg
LH rear wheel detail.jpg

58D23E9C-3817-42F0-A0DD-7D861F8270DD.jpeg
75 xs. Visual impact seat rails welded on. 10.5 rebel shocks. Seat pan made and kinda bent the way I want it, I build saddles so lookin forward to somethin different and making a custom seat cover for this bike. HD risers but not sure I like them, we’ll see how the go with the sportster tank that’s in the mail. Also have forward controls comin from TCbros. It’s gettin a swing arm mounted rear fender as well.

Attachments

• 2621646B-2026-4394-849C-D19A8DB2FFF0.jpeg
    2621646B-2026-4394-849C-D19A8DB2FFF0.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 148
With the apparent extreme angle of the rear shocks to the swinging arm/ frame I wonder if the springs and damping will be sufficient to stop the rear wheel from hitting the seat?

Also, please, please, please loose the green on the forks!

With the shocks on the softest setting, the motor in, a man on the seat pan and another jumping up and down on the the back, the back of the pan never came within 2 inches of the wheel. My opinion is if I hit a bump nasty enough to bottom the back out, I’m gettin bucked off anyway

Yea I agree on the green. The PO had all kinds of things painted green on the bike, kind of a head scratcher

OK - It is very closed to being released at MikesXS website. We will soon have both the front and rear aluminum custom Hub ready for lacing. These Hubs were created to fit with stock Yamaha parts. If you already have a cast rear wheel with disc set up you are in business. All the stock Yamaha components sprocket, bearings, seals and rotor designed to fit. MikesXS also offers rims and spokes to finish off the project. The front hub uses the same concept. Use all the stock Yamaha XS components to have an ultimate spoke wheel set up for your build. Keep checking the website for availability and pricing.

Attachments

• IMG-4731.JPG
    IMG-4731.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 217
OK - It is very closed to being released at MikesXS website. We will soon have both the front and rear aluminum custom Hub ready for lacing. These Hubs were created to fit with stock Yamaha parts. If you already have a cast rear wheel with disc set up you are in business. All the stock Yamaha components sprocket, bearings, seals and rotor designed to fit. MikesXS also offers rims and spokes to finish off the project. The front hub uses the same concept. Use all the stock Yamaha XS components to have an ultimate spoke wheel set up for your build. Keep checking the website for availability and pricing.
Sneak peak on that pricing?

Back