Rear brake, seized or needs to be adjusted?

Tron

Bearded Sheep Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My rear brake seems to be real tight. It still works, but it seems to always be slightly on. The bike is very hard to push around, takes 2 people.

Does this sound like its seizing or just needs adjustment?

Back the adjusted off and see what it does. The brake actuator has a pointer on it so show wear. The manual has it in there.

These brakes need to be removed, cleaned and greased periodically.

Hello everyone,

My rear brake seems to be real tight. It still works, but it seems to always be slightly on. The bike is very hard to push around, takes 2 people.

Does this sound like its seizing or just needs adjustment?

Yeah, what littlebill said!

And this is the bike (below)? I'd check it up off the ground to be sure it's the rear, like on the center stand. Not likely it got adjusted up too tight. The drum and shoes may be all corroded up inside. Also, don't overlook the chain, because they can also cause rust up and bind over time. Hopefully it's one of the two.
full

-R

Assuming it's not just adjusted too tight - take the shoes out and use a hammer to bang the splined piece that expands the shoes out. Clean it and the place it goes real good with a rag and either carb cleaner or gas. Then put some grease on it a reassemble. It will get gunky and cause problems. Once my pedal would not come back up....

On the outside around the splined piece there may be a felt disk which you can saturate with grease and put back on. It helps keep weather out of the grease.

Back