Rear disk brake on a Hard Tail Question

Lester

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
This has probably been covered before but I am not having luck finding the info I am after.
I am running a David Bird hard tail with a front 19" mag in the back with original rear disk. I would like to hang the caliper straight down as shown on the picture, this will leave the brake stay bolt on the wrong side of the caliper bracket.
How are you guys going about this? Fab a new caliper hanger? is there a kit ?
I have a budget so I would like to keep in within a working class mans wallet. Would like to use the original caliper really, nothing wrong with it.
Having it straight up will be in the way of a sissy bra I have planed.

Rear brake caliper.jpg

Thanks for reading

Cheers
Lester
Norway

I've seen guys bring a long bent rod contraption all the way around the axle area and back to the top rail of the hardtail, however this would probably interfere with your sissy bar as well. If it were me I would probably get creative with a bent rod out over the caliper and back to the lower rail of the hardtail.

I've not been out yet to take a look at my bike to see more closely but
1. Can you use one of the bolts that mounts the calliper to the bracket and double it up to a torque arm?
2. Saw off the lug for the torque arm from one side of the bracket and have it welded on the other side? -Usual caveats about messing with brake parts apply but you have started by sawing ip the frame...

Hokay, jus been out to look at mine and the calliper carrier plate is waaaay thick at that point, plenty of metal for a cut and shut with a full depth notched weld.
If your welder says no, say The Binman says it's ok

Thanks for the answers,
Making a wrap around rod is not an option for me... my goal is to building a simple clean bike. I'm sure it would work either way.

I thought about moving and re-welding the lugs but I have had disappointing results with Japanese cast Aluminum before. I'll give this way a go and if I'm not happy I may fab one out of Aluminum plate.

Any other suggestions are welcome..

Cheers
Lester
:D

Why not find a way to mount the caliper between the two right rear legs?
Nice and clean and no worries about a brake stay

I know u want it clean, but mr kil is on it. The rear drop out area will look naked because the caliper will be between the two tubes. then you can weld a tab on the upper tube to hold the cali.

Bleeding may be an issue if the bleeder isn't at the top. Running an additional brake line (first pic) from the bleeder "hole" to a higher (hidden) position moving the bleeder to the end of said hose is an option. Then just fab up a mounting bracket (second pic)......depending on how tight your budget is. Or just deal with it:shrug:.

Attachments

• brake lines.jpg
    brake lines.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 208
  • brake line mount.jpg
    brake line mount.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 183
Hey guys,

I've looked at having the caliper mounted between the two tube but this would totally mess up chain tensioning ect... no go. This is the reason why the caliper bracket is mounted to the wheel axle in the first place.

I chopped of the lugs and prepared them for welding. I am working on a simple jig so it will be a easy and quick job to do as I have to out source Aluminum welding.

Will post pictures as soon as I have time to finish the jig later this week.

Thanks for all the replies!

Lester
Norway

I've thought about the bleeding bit too..... May just unbolt it bleed it and re-bolt.... no big deal as this is not to be done so often.

Good one! thanks

Lester
Norway

Hey guys,

Here are a couple pictures of the weld jig I've made up for the relocation of the brake stay lungs on the caliper hang-off bracket. I am having a welder friend help me out with the Alu. welding, he is a journeyman so I woun't get it back for a couple weeks. I have plenty else to do so no big deal for me

Rear brake caliper 2.jpg

Rear brake caliper 3.jpg

Rear brake caliper 4.jpg

Cheers
Lester

the caliper is in between the tubes on my xs hardtail. there is a slider welded to the lower tube and a notch cut in the caliper it stops the caliper from spinning and lets it slide for chain tension

i dont have any real pics of the breaks you can see caliper posostion in this photo from a po

177_zpsec44891d.jpg

Hmmm... I didn't manage to get this configuration to work on my hard tail when looking at the possibilities. May have something to do with yours being a loop. I'll have to check this again now....LOL

Nice bike by the way

Lester

Lester, nice job with the jig, it should work nicely :thumbsup:

Aside from the looped frame, hhcustoms seems to also be using a different rear caliper set up that looks like the bracket is significantly smaller than the stock XS650's. Looks really awesome that way it is set up though.

that looks like it will work great lester.

thanks for the complements, that picture is from before i owned it its got a k&Q seat now sissie bar ext, it is a aftermarket caliper but the same idea could be applied to the stock one. as was said with this being a loop frame theirs a bit more room there too.

Jbinnington, yea no front break, suicide shift, hand clutch, i like it, just remember what your riding and give your self a little stopping distance and its not an issue, it stops surprisingly well with just the rear disk

Hey guys...

Yea the configuration of my hard tail and axle plates will not allow this with out swapping caliper, bracket ect ... which I don't really want to do. Ill keep it in mind for a future project though! Seen I before on big twins too ,sweet set up really.

Lester

im sure relocating your break stay will work out fine. i was out in the shop last night and the wheel was off anyhow so i took some pics of how my breaks work. ill throw them up in case some one finds this thread down the road.
005_zpsdrxav6zo.jpg

006_zps3pmrtedd.jpg

007_zpsw8k1uoie.jpg

no problems bleeding mine...

Attachments

• IMG_2269.jpg
    IMG_2269.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 301
Back