Rear hub issue, is it trash?

apox

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I got my wheels all a part and was going to start cleaning/blasting them and noticed a few things. There is a piece of the inner drum insert that broke off when I was checking them over, I noticed a little crack and was able to break off a big piece of the wall. It's only a lip and the rest of the insert is intact and doesn't look like to have been damaged by heat or over use. I am hoping that lip could be smoothed up and that the drum pads don't really run on that part considering its so thin and not reinforced? I have attached a photo below of the broken off lip. Also I noticed when I roll the rim or spin it infront of me there seems to be some dust or little sand/metal particles inside the hub. I guess there is a cavity between the iron insert and the aluminum hub housing? the link below is to video of me rolling the rim, its not very noticeable so turn up your speakers!

https://vid.me/btGD

I am really hoping this hub can be salvaged, as where I live, sourcing a hub is out of the question, then I'd be looking at ebay from the US...... expensive.

Attachments

• IMG_1451.jpg
    IMG_1451.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 70
The outer lip appears to be an accumulation of brake dust. The lip on the inner side of the contact patch if any would be the amount of wear on the drum. It looks ok and should clean up if under the wear limit witch is un know by me.

the dust or small particles I'm hearing sliding around are definitely inside somewhere, not external. I guess ill continue with this hub, clean it up, sand the edges of that broken part and hope for the best. If anyone else has any advice I am all ears!

I have a chunk missing too. But not that long. Its along the same spot though . No problem

Back