Rear Light Adventure CONTINUES!

Yamaha77

Banned
Reaction score
So today I took the rear tail light assembly apart, reason being, the "running lights," that is, the rear light which stays on and gets brighter when you brake, went out last night when I went for midnight ride.

Very early this morning I got the Sylvania replacement 1157 bulb. Popped it in, turned the key to the on position (NOT the acc position) and the light wouldnt come on. Pulled the brake lever, the brake light came on. Then turned the key to the acc position and the running lights stayed on.

I decided to put the headlight switch in the ON position and viola, the rear light came on fine. It will ONLY stay on when the headlight is on. I dont think this is normal. Do you?

Last edited:
giphy.gif

You seeked a better understanding of your bike's functions by 'doing'. Well done. Yes, it's normal.

Dont get me wrong, I LOVE working with my hands. From 16 to 28 I was having fun building old cars with my dad and I got sick of it. Sick of grease and cuts and breaking off bolts (like the time I rebuilt a buick 300 motor and over tightened the timing cover bolt, causing the aluminum cover to crack) etc.

I took a break. Now I have a a wife with a business, my own business, and 2 kids. Im not retired. Im in the prime of my life and I dont have a lot of time to be in the garage. Its that simple.

77_xs650d-png.22982

77 Wiring diagram yes it appears head, tail, and instrument lights are all switched at the RH handle bar. In addition the engine must have spun fast enough for the alternator to latch the safety relay before the headlight will light whether the "headlight" switch is on or off.(thanks Dan Black) That switch is really a "running lights" switch not a headlight switch.

Last edited:
ggGary............That diagram has 2 warning lights in the Tach. Wasn't there a park in the US ignition switch?

Last edited:
77_xs650d-png.22982

77 Wiring diagram yes it appears head, tail, and instrument lights are all switched at the RH handle bar. In addition the engine must have spun fast enough for the alternator to latch the safety relay before the headlight will light whether the "headlight" switch is on or off. That switch is really a "running lights" switch not a headlight switch.

So Im a dummy then and the running lights should ONLY work when I have the headlight switch "on?" I THOUGHT the running lights should be on when the key is in the ON position.

I dont mind being wrong. I hope to get more educated about this stuff.

gggGary, please explain the safety relay's part in the running lights circuit. I don't see it on the chart, nor do I experience it in the field. Particular to some years, maybe?

Yes, as Gary says, it's a 'running lights' switch, not a headlight switch.

Note the blue line that supplies the taillight also supplies the hi/lo headlight switch.

gggGary, please explain the safety relay's part in the running lights circuit. I don't see it on the chart, nor do I experience it in the field. Particular to some years, maybe?

Hey Daniel. I want to publicly apologize to you over a private matter. Yesterday you got a rude inbox response from me. Sorry for that. I had a long day, amd arguing with the mrs about which house to buy in Cali and was tired. You didnt deserve that.

Oops You are right Dan, the safety relay didn't get a headlight circuit til 78 when the headlight switch disappeared. 77 just has the headlight "checker".

Yes, as Gary says, it's a 'running lights' switch, not a headlight switch.

Note the blue line that supllies the taillight also supplies the hi/lo headlight switch.

I just want to know if the damn "running lights" should come on when the key is in the ON position LOL.
Or whether the headlight must be on for the running lights to come on, which is the way it is now.

Gary, thanks.

77, in all gentleness, better than an apology would be for you to search the chart for your answer. It's there, and you'll find other answers for which you haven't even formulated a question.

ggGary............That diagram has 2 warning lights in the Tach. Wasn't there a park in the US ignition switch?
Yes the US switch has a park position
Diagram shows 4 bulbs in tach; high beam, brake failure, 2 gauge lights. My 79 resto mod LOOKS like a 77, I start to get confused. (a lot)

Back